Transition NM Romex to EMT conduit

Old 10-13-11, 06:58 PM
Transition NM Romex to EMT conduit

I need to transition a 2 wire romex NM to EMT conduit in the attic (dry location).

Is there a way to do this without using a junction box?

Is there some sort of a coupling or connector for this? I am thinking a box is necessary but just wanted to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
In my opinion a box would be easier so you can convert to THHN wires. However you can use a fitting like this: Non-Metallic Cable Fittings and Cable Supports | Electrical Fittings
Or a EMT connector/atomic coupling (a small rigid coupling)/and an NM locknut connector assembly.
Otherwise NM can be sleeved in EMT. You just need to bush the end of the pipe somehow.

Old 10-14-11, 04:48 PM
I would use the EMT to non metallic combination coupling, but the inspection authority here won't approve them and say you must use a box to change wiring methods. I don't recommend making your own coupling by using the rigid coupling (although I've seen it many times) because technically, they are only U.L. Listed and approved to join lengths of rigid conduit, not for making adapters. It all depends on the AHJ's interpretation of the code whether any of these methods would be approved without using a box.

Old 10-14-11, 05:21 PM
If you use one of these.

where would you slice the wire together? There is no room in the coupling, do you do it in the conduit itself?

or is this better?

Same question with EMT to MC, same answer?

Old 10-14-11, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
If your are making a splice, it has to be in a box or a conduit body that is listed or marked with the cubic inches of volume the CB has. You may not splice in a pipe. Same holds true for all wiring methods.