I need help, please CHIME in on my door chime!

Old 10-13-11, 08:10 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I need help, please CHIME in on my door chime!

I have been trying to trace all the old wires of this old chime. The chime is made by Nutone, probably 40+ years old. I cannot see any model numbers on them.

I found the chime (and transformer) in the kitchen. There were many wires in that box, line voltage and low voltage all tangled up, took me a while to split them up and re-arranged them logically, and traced each wire through the attic and underground to where they eventually go. The diagram below is the best I can do to depict what I think it is doing. I am not 100% sure, because some wires are not accessible, and I am making a best guess.

The wire colors are reflected in the diagram. White wires are shown in gray since I can't draw white on white.

On the lower right is the chime and transformer. This is how it is currently wired. I can push the door bell at the front door, and the chime rings an 8-note sound in the kitchen.

From the kitchen junction box, there are two sets of wires.

Set A is a black wire, a white wire (show in gray), a blue wire. These three wires disappeared into the attic, and sixty feet over, appears again in a junction box in the courtyard. Except the colors has changed from black, white, blue to black, white, orange. The black wire continues onto a conduit that went underground. The orange and white wires are twisted together, then a new white wire also runs underground. I believe those two wires (black and white) goes to my door bell.

Note that the blue wire is not connected to anything at all. I am not sure what that is for.

Set B is another pair of white and blue wires. They are also not connected to anything in the kitchen but just laid there in the box. But they trace another fifty feet in another direction to the family room, where it dead ended in another junction box.

My questions.

- Is it possible to install two more chimes (or speakers) in the courtyard, and the family room, where there are currently two junction boxes?

- If so, how should the wires be connected?

- Do all these extra wires make sense? I assume at one point in time, when someone presses the door bell, the chime rings in the kitchen, the courtyard and the family room?

- Where should the blue wire from the courtyard go?

- Is the orange wire and continuation of the blue wire, and mistakenly twisted in with the white wires in the courtyard?

Sorry for the messy description. I am a bit lost as to how this all supposed to work.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-11, 01:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Note that the blue wire is not connected to anything at all. I am not sure what that is for
If these are cables it may be unused. It maybe there only because they used what they had. Is what you have labeled a "door bell" actually a switch? If so the blue might have been to cay a different signal to the chime to indicate the button pushed.

Is it possible to install two more chimes (or speakers) in the courtyard, and the family room, where there are currently two junction boxes?
Are the chimes electronic or mechanical?

Old 10-14-11, 04:59 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It is motorized?

NUTONE Telechron Synchronous Motor
Type H18
V 16
CY 50
MOD M-3531
RPM 3.6
W 5

That's what's on the chime but tried Google it and nothing turns up.

Old 10-14-11, 06:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Outside my knowledge base. Vintage Door Chimes - Mechanisms