telephone

Old 01-08-01, 10:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Something strange has just happened with my phone line. Without any apparent reason, alot of static is on the line. I can hear the dial tone in the background behind this relatively strong static, and I can barely hear another person who calls. I tested inside with two different phones, and the problem persists. Also, I tested the line coming into the house (there is a phone jack installed at the entry box), and the line coming in seems fine. Anyone have ideas as to what could be causing the problem? Thanks, jc

Old 01-08-01, 12:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you add any electrical appliances to your house recently? Common culprits are fluorescent lights, anything with a transformer, and anything with a motor.

If you have multiple phone jacks, try your phones in each to help isolate the problem.

Old 01-08-01, 12:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response, John. I also thought of the appliance problem, but no, I haven't added anything within the past 6 months. Tonight, I will turn off power to all potential sources (TV, etc), and see if the problem goes away. I do have 2 jacks, and I did try both of them with the same result. I am baffled.

Old 01-08-01, 05:28 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Try disconnecting all phone equipment throughout the house, then wait ten minutes for the lines to reset and test a good phone. See if the noise is still present. You may have a phone device causing the problem.

If problem is still present go to about the second or third phone jack on the line and disconnect the rest of the house from those first few phone jacks, and test again.

Keep disconnecting phone jacks from the system until you get you phones back to normal.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 01-09-01, 08:39 AM
D
I once had the exact same problem, my wife and hund up some clother using the telephone line as a clothes line and with the added tension it caused the telephone line to rub against the sharp edge of a main furnance pipe, and caused contact of one the telephone wires with the pipe. May not be your problem but it did cause that exact same problem as your described ; just thought I would make that comment.

Old 01-09-01, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all for the responses. I found the problem, and it was a similar situation to that presented by dkerr. One of the wires at a connection was making contact with a copper pipe. Problem solved. Thank you.

Old 01-09-01, 08:53 AM
D
Is you can't find a problem, I would proceed this way and isolate the problem...
1st. which I don't suspect, but lets not rule out anything, find where the telephone line is entering the house disconnect all house lines feeding the house , hook up a phone (with a phone jack if necessary) at the source with no line feeding the house, if the problem is still there , then it is either with the phone company feed or the wire coming from the the phone companies conector outside your house to just inside the house . I suspect it is ok, if not you could just contact the phone company, or take one extra step, and go to the outside of the house on the outside wall , lift off the cover and disconnect the wire coming into the house and check for a clean line right there, if this has a problem, contact yoru phone company , it is there problem not yours. However I willing to guess it is an internal problem.

2nd. Assuming that it is only the one pair of wires in yoru house telephone wiring, as one alternative you could switch all the telphone jacks to a different pair and connect the house telephone wire feeds and new selected pair to the incoming phone line feed coming in from outside.
This is going on the assumption that only one wire is affected in the cable.

3rd. Check as I stated in my previous post for anything close to metal, anything hanging on a wire in the basement.

THIS IS ALL AFTER TO HAVE ELLIMATED THE POSSIBLITY OF A PHONE/ANSWERING MACHINE OR ANYTHING THAT YOU WOULD PLUG INTO ANY JACK COULD BE A PROBLEM DEVICE. UNPLUG ALL PHONE , TRY PICKING 2 PHONES AND CHECK A HANDFULL OF JACKS , (I SAY 2 DIFFERENT PHONE, BECAUSE WE WOULD NOT WANT TO BE DOING A TEST WHEN BY CHANCE YOU ARE TESTING WITH A PROBLEM PHONE) IF ALL JACKS PROVIDE THE SAME PROBLEM RESULTS WITH BOTH PHONES, THEN TRY THE OTHERS ITEMS THAT I MENTIONED, NOT NECESSARYLY IN THAT ORDER.

Old 01-09-01, 08:56 AM
D
I guess your posting got in between by 2. Glad my little story was of help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: