Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing Ballast on Fluroescent Light -- Only one bulb getting power

Old 10-17-11, 06:15 AM

Was replacing a ballast, and came across the thread here, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1403281

Well, everything is about as described, but one of the lights went out (it was hot for twenty minutes or so), so either it is a bad socket, or I did something wrong. Now, I only have sockets with two holes, so I have blue and red each on a lamp, then I split off yellow so that there are two yellows in each of the other lamps. Since the one side does not work regardless of bulb, I'm thinking a socket is shot.

Is that even possible? Should I just replace the two-hole sockets with four-hole ones...? I see they are cheap at least

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-11, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. The link you posted isn't valid. I don't understand:
Should I just replace the two-hole sockets with four-hole ones...? I see they are cheap at least
You need to use sockets made for the bulbs you are using and the bulbs must be for the type of ballast you have. What wattage are the bulbs? Are they T8 or T12 or what? Are you sure you used the correct ballast?

Old 10-17-11, 08:32 AM
Well... you are right. I have F8T32 lights, and I'm not sure that's the right ballast. So I picked up a ballast for F08T32, and it only has red and blue wires going to the lamps. So what I'll try when I get home, is to put blue to blue, then red over, and bridge the red side to the other lamp.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Welcome to the forums. The link you posted isn't valid. I don't understand: You need to use sockets made for the bulbs you are using and the bulbs must be for the type of ballast you have. What wattage are the bulbs? Are they T8 or T12 or what? Are you sure you used the correct ballast?

Old 10-17-11, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
So what I'll try when I get home, is to put blue to blue, then red over, and bridge the red side to the other lamp.
There should be a wiring diagram on the new ballast. Follow that diagram. If you don't understand the diagram post back, don't guess. You may let the smoke out.

Old 10-17-11, 12:12 PM
Was able to buzz home over lunch and pop the new one in following the diagram... thanks. Didn't realize you really had to match exactly, but it does make sense. No calls from the FD yet.

Old 10-17-11, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.

As the techies say RTFM when all else fails.