wiring in a switch box

Old 10-18-11, 07:43 PM
wiring in a switch box

a little.
I was replacing a switch/outlet combo in a bathroom all on the same body. The switch worked a light and the outlet was hot all the time. I was going
to put a double gang box and have a separate switch and a gfi.

When I opened the box there was two cables. Cable 1 the white was hot [so i am thinking a switch loop] the black came off the other side. What i am confused about is on cable 2 the black and white where spliced together with a pig tail to the switch and outlet combination. I have to see if one side had its tab broke off. I would check the side with the pig tail.

I guess i never saw a black and a white spliced together and not making a short. Can anyone tell me how they could tie the black and together and not trip a breaker?

Last edited by pcboss; 10-19-11 at 11:47 AM. Reason: readibility
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-11, 05:14 AM
"black and tie togather"

What does this mean?

Please use correct spelling and grammar so we can understand your problem.

Old 10-19-11, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your post was edited for readibility. Proper sentence structure and capitalization make it easier for everyone to read and understand your post.

The black and white splice was part of a switch loop where the white is not a neutral. It is now a hot. It should have been re-identified as a hot with blac or red magic marker or tape on both ends so this confusion did not exist.