Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I run Room Air Conditioner through a DC to AC Inverter?

Old 10-24-11, 07:05 AM

I'm planing to make a 145W Solar Panel and Charge my 12VDC/120A Car battery then power up with 12VDC/230VAC 1500W Inverter...And want to use my laptop charger,and table fan and CFL light.

And also I wanted to know can I run any Air Conditioner unit though this inverter?

Or there is any special Air Conditioner can use with Inverter??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-11, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could run a small window air conditioner through the inverter, however your battery life will not be very long.

Assuming a small A/C unit uses about 700W, it will require 60A of current at 12V from the battery. So from fully charged, a 120 amp-hour battery will run the air conditioner for less than two hours.

The 145W solar panel, assuming maximum efficiency and direct sunlight will require about 11 hours to charge the battery to full.

Therefore you need at least 11 hours of direct sunlight to get less than 2 hours of operation on the A/C, and these values are all estimates on the optimistic side. The reality will probably be less.