Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

can you use romex wiring within conduit for a ceiling fan or lighting?

Old 10-24-11, 06:52 PM

i have a studio-loft condo (hvac ductwork is exposed, along with some electrical).

the electrical outlets on my common/shared neighbor walls are standard outlets (mounted within the drywall/stud). i installed some track lighting and a ceiling fan and ran some standard plastic conduit along the exterior of my ceiling.

i was informed this may create a fire hazard due to triple insulation of the romex cable.

is this an issue?

if i need to replace the wiring, what should i use?

here is the current setup:

i am looking for a better way to connect the ceiling fan electrical wiring to the electrical outlet in the photo.

i was also recommended something like this:
IBERVILLE | Utility Extension 2-3/8 In. Wide 1-7/8 In. | Home Depot Canada

any input?
thank you !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-11, 09:30 PM
I can only speak to usage in the US but generally it is okay, but definitely not preferred, to use type NM cable in conduit. HOWEVER, installing that cord cap (plug) on NM cable is a definite no-no.

I would suggest that you use a product such as Wiremold to run between the receptacle and fan. There are LOTS of accessories to allow you to properly transition from the receptacle box to the ceiling fan.

Raceway

Old 10-25-11, 06:37 AM
thank you,
ill look into an extender box so i can directly tie the wire into the outlet,

Old 10-25-11, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I can only speak to usage in the US but generally it is okay, but definitely not preferred, to use type NM cable in conduit. HOWEVER, installing that cord cap (plug) on NM cable is a definite no-no.
spoke with local hardware shop - they seemed to recommend the individual strand wire for use in interior conduit (TMMH, i believe it was called).

Old 10-25-11, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
THHN is the type of wires you would normally use in conduit. I agree with Furd that the best wiring method for this fan would be Wiremold surface raceway and boxes. The current installation is wrong in a number of ways.

Old 10-25-11, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's nothing wrong (codewise) with putting the Romex in the conduit for protection, so long as the conduit is properly sized and no part of the conduit goes outdoors. It's called 'sleeving', and it's definitely not a fire hazard when fill limits are followed. Basically due to the extra insulation, you are limited to one cable (maybe two, I forget what the cross section is) in a 3/4" pipe, which is what it looks like you have.

But as has already been pointed out, the issue lies with the fact that you put a plug on the end of the Romex, rather than using an extension box to direct wire it.. The box that you used on the ceiling must also be fan-rated, it can't just be a standard round plastic box.

And FWIU, Wiremold is subject to the same fill restrictions as conduit. It is designed for THH/WN conductors, not Romex, so it would have to be upsized in order to run Romex through it. Not to mention it's expensive as all hell.

Old 10-25-11, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by syn ack View Post
thank you,
ill look into an extender box so i can directly tie the wire into the outlet,
The extension ring you linked earlier would work, but to make it easier to cram your connections in the space available, I would consider a 2-gang wiremold or a deep wiremold or similar.

Sorry I don't know Wiremold plastic well enough but if you were doing metal you would put a V5748 over the existing box and use a V5785 offset. Then starting up the wall from the box, use two offsets to bring your PVC conduit into the V5785.

If that's 3/4" PVC, use a bushing to adapt down to the 1/2" connector on the V5785. As mentioned previously, wire with THHN to a listed surface-mounted fan box.

Old 10-26-11, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
There's nothing wrong (codewise) with putting the Romex in the conduit for protection, so long as the conduit is properly sized and no part of the conduit goes outdoors. It's called 'sleeving', and it's definitely not a fire hazard when fill limits are followed. Basically due to the extra insulation, you are limited to one cable (maybe two, I forget what the cross section is) in a 3/4" pipe, which is what it looks like you have.
thank you for the input !

single run of cable in that conduit (fan), although i do have 2 runs of cables in the track-light conduit... the conduit does not go outside - it is interior only.

i am not at home at the moment - are the individual wires within the romex insulated as well? instead of having to buy new (individual strand) wire, could i just cut away all of the romex insulation that wraps around all 3 wires and use the individual strands from the romex? (as long as the individual strands within the romex are insulated) ?

But as has already been pointed out, the issue lies with the fact that you put a plug on the end of the Romex, rather than using an extension box to direct wire it.. The box that you used on the ceiling must also be fan-rated, it can't just be a standard round plastic box.
right - it was just temporary until i had a final solution. i will look into the extension box and get it hard-wired. i already have a switch in-line with that conduit, so after direct wiring the fan to the electrical box i will still have the ability to turn the fan on/off via the switch.

i will also inspect my box and verify whether it is fan rated. i really appreciate the inputs.

And FWIU, Wiremold is subject to the same fill restrictions as conduit. It is designed for THH/WN conductors, not Romex, so it would have to be upsized in order to run Romex through it. Not to mention it's expensive as all hell.
i would prefer to keep the plastic conduit as it matches the decor of my unit better (loft space), and is much less expensive than wiremold (as you stated).

Old 10-26-11, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
could i just cut away all of the romex insulation that wraps around all 3 wires and use the individual strands from the romex? (as long as the individual strands within the romex are insulated) ?
No. The wires inside are not listed for that purpose.

i will look into the extension box and get it hard-wired. i already have a switch in-line with that conduit, so after direct wiring the fan to the electrical box i will still have the ability to turn the fan on/off via the switch.
If using surface race install a surface box at switch height in your run and install switch there. If using PVC conduit use a box with glue hubs. So that the conduit lies flat to the wall use offset nipples where you enter and leave the box.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-26-11 at 08:18 AM.