Power to shed

Old 10-26-11, 01:40 PM
Power to shed

Hi, I'm unsure how to post a new thread but hope some one can help my question. I have a 32a mcb in my consumer unit with the 3 cables comin into a junction box ontop of kitchen cupboard as it fed my old cooker. I have installed 4mm 3 core swa to my shed that is 5m away. Inside I have wired it into a double 13a socket unit that has built in RCd protection. I want to power a freezer n a washing machine off this. Is this adequate? Many thanks shaun

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-11, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forum. This is primarily a North American site. I'm not sure there is anyone currently active on the board who can help.

Old 10-27-11, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Paxophil View Post
Hi, I'm unsure how to post a new thread but hope some one can help my question. I have a 32a mcb in my consumer unit with the 3 cables comin into a junction box ontop of kitchen cupboard as it fed my old cooker. I have installed 4mm 3 core swa to my shed that is 5m away. Inside I have wired it into a double 13a socket unit that has built in RCd protection. I want to power a freezer n a washing machine off this. Is this adequate? Many thanks shaun
There is couple issue it allready arise with your 4.0mm˛ you can not use 32 amp breaker on this one the 4.0mm˛ is only good for 20/24 amp the max.

And you have to be aware there is intermix of old and new colour code if not aware about it.

The 13 amp circuit should be plenty good for your useage as you posted and you may need a weatherproof shuttered power points if your local area do required it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 10-28-11, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was planning to change the 32a mcb for a 16a so I will do that. Also I have colour coded the cables the same as the old colour using coloured electrical tape.

Old 10-30-11, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Paxophil View Post
Thanks for your reply. I was planning to change the 32a mcb for a 16a so I will do that. Also I have colour coded the cables the same as the old colour using coloured electrical tape.
You can but I am seriouslly advise you please use the modern colour format due the code did change sometime back and it will make it easier in future to trobleshooting if the situation arise.

This what I always do is make a note at the CU ( Customer unit ) or DP ( Distubation Panel ) and warn other that have mixed bag of old and new conductor colour code and upgrade to new colour code much as possble.

here a quick photo so you get the idea.

Merci,
Marc