Dead outlet but fuses seem OK?

Old 10-26-11, 06:28 PM
Dead outlet but fuses seem OK?

Hi all. Here's the issue: My wife and I bought a house a few months ago that was built in 1957. All outlets were tested during the inspection, and everything was fine. A few days ago, an outlet in our bedroom stopped working. Also, the overhead light in our bedroom closet seems dead. The overhead light in the room works just fine, and the other two outlets in the room work as well. I checked the fuses downstairs (we have the old "Edison" type fuses) and according to the tester I used, they all seem fine. I had to check all of them since there were (of course) no labels on anything in the box.

I checked the dead outlet with a meter, and the needle didn't budge. Any ideas on what I could check next? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-11, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
I checked the fuses downstairs (we have the old "Edison" type fuses) and according to the tester I used, they all seem fine.
Do you mean you pulled each fuse and did a continuity test with a multimeter?

Old 10-26-11, 09:35 PM
I pulled each fuse, yes... as for the test, I'm afraid I just used a tester that came with an assortment of fuses I bought at the hardware store. It's a small, two-prong meter that I touched to the bottom of the fuse and the brass ring near the top. Each time I got a steady light on the meter. According to the instructions, I understood that to mean the fuse was OK. I freely admit ignorance in the matter, however, and maybe I should have done a more thorough test.

Old 10-26-11, 11:01 PM
Have you tripped one of the GFI plugs, like the ones in the bathroom area. One of our kitchen plugs controls a whole string of plugs and lights, it tripped once and we had to call a repairman.....he moved a canister on the counter that was infront of the tripped plug. Boy, were we red faced!!!

Old 10-26-11, 11:28 PM
If all your fuses are good and you have no tripped GFCI's then it sounds like a lose connection that feeds the light and outlet. You will need to try and determine where the light and outlet were receiving there power from. I would start with checking the outlet and light that are dead. The bad connection might be in either of them.

Old 10-27-11, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. My dad thought the same thing, I guess. He thought that the previous owner might have run the power for the overhead light in the closet from the outlet. I'll probably start at the outlet and then check the junction box in the attic.

As for GFCIs, I am reasonably sure that there are none in the house at all, not even in the bathroom. The only outlet in the bathroom is part of the light fixture connected to the medicine cabinet. I'll look around to be sure, however. There is only one outlet in the entire house that is even a three-prong plug type, so I don't think much upgrading has been addressed as far as the electrical work is concerned. Thanks again, all!

Old 10-27-11, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Remember the usual caveats:

Move all back stabbed wires to the screws.
Replace all wire nuts or at least remove and check for corrosion.
Loose wire may either be at the first bad or last good outlet or switch.