Outlet Removal Question

Old 10-28-11, 05:40 PM
Outlet Removal Question

Hey Everyone,
hopefully someone can help me with my question because I posted on another site and was told I wasn't welcome! Anyway...my question hopefully is an easy one. My wife thinks I am incapable of completing this task by myself so I am here looking for guidance. Basically she is afraid I am going to electrocute myself. We aceiling which re in the process of refinishing our basement. It had wood paneling which was torn down obviously because it is hideous and I was left with the studs. I want to finish removing the studs including the ones that have outlets on them. I have access to the ceiling and what are apparently called "Homeruns"? Basically what I am looking for is a step by step in how to remove them from the homerun. Obviously my first step is to turn off the power, even I thought of that. I definitely know nothing about electrical work but I am not willing to pay someone to do this for me since I think it will be easy once I know what I am doing. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-11, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.The actual removal is easy to do safely but....

Is this going to be a living space when you are through? Code requirements for receptacle spacing in living spaces may require you keep them. The actual removal is easy to do safely.

Old 10-28-11, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Homerun273 View Post
I definitely know nothing about electrical work but I am not willing to pay someone to do this for me since I think it will be easy once I know what I am doing.
First thing I suggest is to go out and get the book "Wiring Simplified". This is widely available at most book stores and some big box home stores for around $12. It is also the book that got me started in the electrical trade. While I understand that you feel the work is easy, there are a great many codes that are required to be followed, beyond that book, to make a safe installation. You have not seen all the bad installations I have, done by people who thought they knew what they were doing and thought it was easy.

As Ray posted, removal of the old wiring is pretty straight forward. Find the cable that goes home. Turn off the breaker or fuse. Disconnect the home run from the circuit. I suggest taping off the breaker so somebody does not turn it on.

I should also note that most states require an electrical permit for a home owner to do any wiring in their own residence.

Originally Posted by Homerun273 View Post
hopefully someone can help me with my question because I posted on another site and was told I wasn't welcome! Anyway...my question hopefully is an easy one. My wife thinks I am incapable of completing this task by myself so I am here looking for guidance. Basically she is afraid I am going to electrocute myself.
I know of the "pro" sites you speak of who do not welcome homeowners. You are welcome here. Ask lots of questions! That is why we are all here.
Just be sure you are 100% sure of what your are doing, and the risks involved working with and around electricity. Your wife is correct, it can and will kill you!
_

Old 10-30-11, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are planning to finish the area so it does not look so dated there is a good possibility that some of the existing can be reworked to fit the new plans. Tell more about your project.

Old 10-30-11, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Jim. We need more information. First, why are you removing the studworks? Can they not be reused in your renovation? Especially the perimeter studs. Individual stud walls can be moved fairly easily, and the wiring re routed as long as you use proper junction boxes and leave them exposed.

Old 10-30-11, 11:15 AM
Some of these wires probably go to an electrical circuit breaker panel...

An electrical panel will still have live electricity present even with the main breaker turned off!

With that said, you would be safest to call an electrician and have the outlets and wiring removed.

If it is an easy job, then it should not cost very much. Note that just about everybody charges $100.00 just to show up at your door these days...

Old 10-30-11, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all of the responses everyone I am very glad that people are so willing to help. I will not be refinishing/replacing any of the wiring myself. I need to remove the studs because the previous homeowner who finished this space, didnt use any type of vapor barrier/waterproofing and these studs are rotted. Plus the wiring that was used in this basement was aluminum wiring which I definitely want to replace. I need to get the studs off the walls to clean, waterproof etc before I can have someone come in and frame and then I will call an electrician. I just thought it would be easy enough for me to do this myself. I can take pictures if necessary for further clarification. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-30-11, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
the wiring that was used in this basement was aluminum wiring which I definitely want to replace.
Given what you have said I suggest you disconnect the circuit at the breaker box and shove the cable out of the breaker box and remove as much as you easily can on that end. The rest you can just abandon. Note you may need to need to run temporary power for lights if they are also on the circuit.