Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

wiring for a garbage disposal air switch? (Reverse Polarity)

Old 10-31-11, 01:36 PM

I bought a garbage disposal air switch https://www.galaxytoolsupply.com/Pro...ductCode=GA7-B and in the process of hooking it up I tested it with my outlet checker, which shows the polarity being reversed. (The wall outlet is correct :-) ) Is that a problem or is it normal with these units?

If it's a problem, instead of opening the unit up can I just reverse the wires when I hook them to the disposal so the disposal will see correct polarity?

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-11, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Polarity is not an applicable term when referring to an AC circuit. Can you explain more fully what you mean? Do you mean a reversed hot neutral on the receptacle? if so how did you determine it.

Old 10-31-11, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you're using a three-light tester, hot/neutral (polarity) reverse can give the same indication as open ground. It can be a bad reading by that type of tester.

Old 10-31-11, 07:40 PM
Sorry that was from my car stero days... I meant that it says that the hot and neutral wires are reversed. I did use one of the three light plug in testers and I tested it on other outlets where it read that everything was correct.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

Old 10-31-11, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
You need to check out the ground on the system. If there is no ground you should run one or replace the cable to the GD receptacle. If this is an old house and it isn't a dedicated circuit best practice is to run a new dedicated circuit.

Old 11-01-11, 07:21 AM
How would you check out the ground on the unit? It's sealed... I have no problems drilling out the rivets to peek inside though :-)

The circuit is a dedicated circuit and if I test it before the unit it all checks out fine.

Scott

Old 11-01-11, 08:59 AM
Air Switch

After looking at the photo of the air switch, it looks like the disposal will plug into the air switch with a 3-prong plug.

Old 11-01-11, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by spetrola View Post
How would you check out the ground on the unit? It's sealed... I have no problems drilling out the rivets to peek inside though :-)

The circuit is a dedicated circuit and if I test it before the unit it all checks out fine.
Oh, I thought it was the receptacle the unit plugs into that was reversed. I'd probably buy a different brand and return the one you bought.

Old 11-01-11, 10:20 AM
Ok, I bought it 2 years ago and am just getting around to hooking it up.

I might take it apart for fun! What would happen if I hooked it up as is?

Or could I just switch the wires when I hook the other end to the garbage disposal?

Scott

Old 11-01-11, 12:04 PM
When you were checking with the plug in tester, did you have the air swith in the on or off position? If in the off position you might not get an accurate reading from the tester.

Old 11-01-11, 12:07 PM
In the off position, there is no power given to the outlet, in the on position it shows the hot/neutral wires reversed.

Scott

Old 11-01-11, 12:54 PM
Do you have a volt meter so you can check the wires before connecting them to the switch? You should have 120V between the black and white, and between the black on ground. You should have zero volts between white and ground.

Old 11-01-11, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
With the switch on use a multimeter to measure between the wide slot and a known good ground. Then between the narrow slot and a known good ground. The first reading should be ~0 volts and the second ~120v. A metal water pipe in a metal plumbed house or the ground slot of an extension cord plugged in to a receptacle with a known good ground could provide the ground for testing.