Electrical Issue

Old 11-01-11, 07:20 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issue

My wife and I just purchased our first home. We are 22. Anyway before we purchased a home the owner informed us that the dishwasher does not work. I tested it out and i get a burning smell during the drying cycle

So Today I purchased a new one. I shut the breaker off to the old dishwasher and disconnected it to install the new one.. I noticed that the other wire has burned away the protective coating in multiple spots. I planned to also tie into this to mount a garbage disposal. I understand in the wires current condition that it is a fire hazard to proceed from this point until it is fixed. I only have about 1 1/2 feet of line in the house that i am able to inspect as the rest feeds in from the foundation so I am not able to get visual on it

What is the best practice for repairing this? should i locate the feed off the breaker box and replace the whole supply line or repair the coating around the wire. There is also some of the interior wire coating missing. Im guessing there was a short along the way. According to my findings the breaker only feeds the dishwasher line.

Experience: Plumbing, electical not the greatest.

Old 11-01-11, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you post a quick pic of the area in question and how the cable gets to the DW?

Small tears can be taped over but I suspect that you are well beyond that point.

Congrats on owning a home at your young age.

Old 11-01-11, 07:51 PM
H
Thank you, Im active army so i was able to use my VA Loan.

Further info, the house was built in 1995. Im curious to know if it is just wear as it looks like it is in that area if the dish washer was rocked back and forth. also noticed it was not sealed in this area around the wire and wood.

Here are the requested pictures. (click for actual size)

Old 11-01-11, 08:38 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
That is definitely a remove and replace job, repair not possible.

I strongly suggest that you visit your local library and check out several DIY books on electricity and also buy the book Wiring Simplified which is available in the electrical aisle (not the book and magazine section) of the mega-mart homecenters. Read these books BEFORE starting any electrical work and post back for specific questions that the books did not address.

Remember that electricity is an equal opportunity killer.

Old 11-01-11, 09:08 PM
B
Yes replace the wire all the way back to the breaker panel.

Then run two new wires so you have a separate circuit for the garbage disposal. An electrician could run one wire with an extra conductor (called an MWBC). That is pretty advanced stuff for DIY though. But one wire might easily fit through existing holes?

Might want to call an electrician and get an estimate. Might not be too much. I hate to say that as you just bought the house! (I was flat broke after I bought my first house...)

Old 11-02-11, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I agree that total replacement is the way to go on that cable.

Is the wood stained from water damage?

Old 11-02-11, 08:51 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Do you have access to the underside of the floor through the basement or crawlspace?

Old 11-02-11, 04:52 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Thank you, Im active army so i was able to use my VA Loan.
Let me guess, Ft. Campbell? I'd also replace the circuit all the way back to the panel. A new 20 amp circuit would be plenty for both dishwasher and a new disposer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: