Electrical Issue

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-01-11, 07:20 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 3
Electrical Issue

My wife and I just purchased our first home. We are 22. Anyway before we purchased a home the owner informed us that the dishwasher does not work. I tested it out and i get a burning smell during the drying cycle

So Today I purchased a new one. I shut the breaker off to the old dishwasher and disconnected it to install the new one.. I noticed that the other wire has burned away the protective coating in multiple spots. I planned to also tie into this to mount a garbage disposal. I understand in the wires current condition that it is a fire hazard to proceed from this point until it is fixed. I only have about 1 1/2 feet of line in the house that i am able to inspect as the rest feeds in from the foundation so I am not able to get visual on it

What is the best practice for repairing this? should i locate the feed off the breaker box and replace the whole supply line or repair the coating around the wire. There is also some of the interior wire coating missing. Im guessing there was a short along the way. According to my findings the breaker only feeds the dishwasher line.

Experience: Plumbing, electical not the greatest.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-01-11, 07:33 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,361
Can you post a quick pic of the area in question and how the cable gets to the DW?

Small tears can be taped over but I suspect that you are well beyond that point.

Congrats on owning a home at your young age.
 
  #3  
Old 11-01-11, 07:51 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 3
Thank you, Im active army so i was able to use my VA Loan.

Further info, the house was built in 1995. Im curious to know if it is just wear as it looks like it is in that area if the dish washer was rocked back and forth. also noticed it was not sealed in this area around the wire and wood.

Here are the requested pictures. (click for actual size)




 
  #4  
Old 11-01-11, 08:38 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,374
That is definitely a remove and replace job, repair not possible.

I strongly suggest that you visit your local library and check out several DIY books on electricity and also buy the book Wiring Simplified which is available in the electrical aisle (not the book and magazine section) of the mega-mart homecenters. Read these books BEFORE starting any electrical work and post back for specific questions that the books did not address.

Remember that electricity is an equal opportunity killer.
 
  #5  
Old 11-01-11, 09:08 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,312
Yes replace the wire all the way back to the breaker panel.

Then run two new wires so you have a separate circuit for the garbage disposal. An electrician could run one wire with an extra conductor (called an MWBC). That is pretty advanced stuff for DIY though. But one wire might easily fit through existing holes?

Might want to call an electrician and get an estimate. Might not be too much. I hate to say that as you just bought the house! (I was flat broke after I bought my first house...)
 
  #6  
Old 11-02-11, 04:13 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,361
I agree that total replacement is the way to go on that cable.

Is the wood stained from water damage?
 
  #7  
Old 11-02-11, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,296
Do you have access to the underside of the floor through the basement or crawlspace?
 
  #8  
Old 11-02-11, 04:52 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 9,221
Thank you, Im active army so i was able to use my VA Loan.
Let me guess, Ft. Campbell? I'd also replace the circuit all the way back to the panel. A new 20 amp circuit would be plenty for both dishwasher and a new disposer.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'