Installing an outlet into pre-existing housing

Old 11-02-11, 08:24 PM
Installing an outlet into pre-existing housing

Hi everybody,

I'm doing work in an attic and need an independent outlet up there. I've found what looks like housing that is ready to go. It may be that all I need to do is buy an outlet and install it. There is wire running from the back, through an old controller box, down to the current circuit breaker. Does this look like an easy install or am I missing a key component?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-11, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The large gray box is a junction box that was installed to contain the splices between the old wiring and the new yellow and white cables.

You may be able to add a receptacle in the smaller blue box but it would depend on what that circuit was feeding. Some circuits are dedicated to only feed some areas. Kitchen, bath and laundry receptacles are some of these.

Old 11-02-11, 08:57 PM
The large gray box is a junction box that was installed to contain the splices between the old wiring and the new yellow and white cables.
I was also looking at the large gray junction box and noticed there seems to be no ground wires from most of the yellow and white NM cables. In fact, it looks as if the ground wires have been snipped off except for what appears to be two ground wires from two of the yellow NM cables (the one from the top and one from the bottom). It also appears that the junction box is not grounded. Hopefully the work you are doing in the attic includes repairing some electrical issues.

Old 11-02-11, 10:07 PM
That also *could* be a 240 volt circuit and not 120 volts!

The white wires should have black tape on them if a 240 volt circuit, but sometimes this is not done.

Another reason to find out what that circuit goes to.