Disposal & Hot water Dispenser on one circuit?

Old 11-12-11, 09:42 AM
Disposal & Hot water Dispenser on one circuit?

My kitchen (1994 construction) currently has a dedicated 20amp circuit each for the disposal and the hot water dispenser. The disposal draws 6.9amps the hot water dispenser 6.3 amps, both are plug ins, no hardwiring. I was planning on plugging the hot water dispenser into the disposal circuit so that I can convert the dispenser circuit into a stair lighting circuit...I'm out of breaker space. One 20amp circuit seems like it would have enough capacity for both these units, am I missing some other reason on why this would be a bad plan?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-11, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
If that is all that is on that circuit, those loads should be able to be combined.

Be sure your dishwasher is not on that circuit as well. Many cases the disposal and dishwasher were put on the same circuit.

Old 11-12-11, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, the dishwasher is on its own circuit, hardwired, we replaced it a few months ago. Practically everything in the kitchen is on its own circuit, which is handy when replacing or fixing one item, but has our subpanel filled!

I do have a follow up question though, to convert the dispenser circuit I can't get all the way to the panel to run new wire, if I leave the current receptacle box in place (minus the receptacle) and use it as a j-box but leave it accessible in the future I figure I can just pull wire into this box (since I have access below).

Old 11-12-11, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by DIYers View Post
I do have a follow up question though, to convert the dispenser circuit I can't get all the way to the panel to run new wire, if I leave the current receptacle box in place (minus the receptacle) and use it as a j-box but leave it accessible in the future I figure I can just pull wire into this box (since I have access below).
What you propose is fine but I am a little confused. If the disposal and dispenser are cord connected, why would you need to pull in another wire? Can't you just plug the dispenser into the receptacle of the disposer. Then, just make the old dispenser a j-box (as you proposed) and run your new stair circuit from there. If you want to use a smaller wire (#14) you can just change the breaker to a 15 amp.

BTW - You sub-panel may be listed to accept tandem breakers for more circuits. IF you list the model name and number we might be able to tell. Or you can add another sub-panel for additional spaces.

Old 11-12-11, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the OP wants to use the home run and existing JB and extend it for the lighting.

Old 11-12-11, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
I think the OP wants to use the home run and existing JB and extend it for the lighting.
That would make more sense. Now that I read it again I see I was just confused. Carry on.