3 Way Help - Digital Timer

Old 11-12-11, 12:33 PM
3 Way Help - Digital Timer

Hello, I have a question, as it seems either my wiring is not as standard asIlike, or something else is amiss.

I have a 3-Way timer from Honeywell (Aube), Amazon.com: Ti073-3w Aube Electronic Timer Switch with Sunrise/sunset Single or 3 Way 40w Min 500w Max No Neutral Required: Home Improvement

manual: http://www.aubetech.com/manuel/2/TI073.pdf

I waited until the weekend to install it so that I would have some more light, and while I may not be an electrician, I do have some good general diy knowledge.

Anyway, I have some lights, that have two 3 way switches on them, one inside, one outside. I bought the timer to replace the inside switch knowing it would make the outside switch inoperable. I followed the instructions on the timer, best I could given my actual wiring conditions. Should have been straight forward. right? Well, not exactly. each 3way in the chain has both a black and white wire, hot and neutral, I figured it could have been a lazy home builder, and went with it. Flipped the breaker back on, and no power to timer. Ok, so I looked at instructions again, triedto decode my solution,and decided it must be the "jumper" wire provided for the 3rd 3-way switch. Tis jumper disabled the other switch by permantnly making the connection between the traveller and the hot wire on the other end.

Long story short, I tried many combinations, and none worked. timer never received power.

Any help is appreciated!and I will try to reciprocate that help if needed!.

Inside:

Outside:

The outside switch is far more confusing looking than I'm guessing it ought to be.

This is the goal, I think...

House is ~25yrs old.

Last edited by ImmortalLobster; 11-12-11 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-11, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Did you mark the common when you pulled the old switch? Does power come in at the switch where you are replacing the 3-way?

Old 11-12-11, 01:33 PM
Yes, I made note of the common, And yes, I'm fairly sure power comes in at that location asthree different lighting circuits feed off that single source.

Old 11-12-11, 02:00 PM
At first you say there are two 3-way switches. Then say 3 and 3 are shown in the diagram.

So are there three 3-way switches controlling one light?

If yes, with regular switches, you would need two 3-way switches and a 4-way switch in the middle. Like this...

Old 11-12-11, 03:43 PM
No, just two switches for 3 light fixtures (one purpose).

Old 11-12-11, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
I am seeing only 2-wire cables (black, white, ground). I'd expect to see a 3-wire cable (black, white, red, ground) between the switch boxes. Best guess is they used two 2-wire cables instead of the code required 3-wire cable. Did you originally have an unused wire in both switch boxes?

Old 11-12-11, 04:44 PM
Yep, the neutralwas unused at the inside box, and there is an unused hot, and looks like 2 neutrals comined that aren't used at the outdoors box.

How new is the code? because I don't think I've ever seen an actual 3-wire cable in any house, ever. lol

Also, I did test the timer at a single pole switch, worksjust fine. Also tried it without the ground in case I had an open ground, timer still worked. so I think I definetly have something going on with the house wiring, my hunch is that outside box.

Old 11-12-11, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
How new is the code?
40 or 50 years old.

We maybe could help you get it working as a three way but it is not the policy of this forum to encourage code violation. We might be able to show you how to use it as a single location switch assuming local code permits. Other wise you really need to run new cable.

Wait for the final verdict form the pros.

Old 11-12-11, 09:56 PM
Much appreciated! So far, very impressed with this forum

Old 11-14-11, 07:08 PM
Any word yet?

Minimum character count? awww.....