replacing light fixture

Old 11-12-11, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing light fixture

I am trying to wire up a new light fixture but can only get one side to light up fixture has 4 lights.When i took light fixture down i'm pretty sure the 2 whites were wired to a single white & the 2 blacks were wired to another 2 whites twisted together.There are 2 blacks in box caped off the light i took down was working so i can't figure out whats wrong.I can't even get the the light i took down to light up on both sides.The new light fixture has 1 black & 1 white to be wired to wires coming from box. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-11, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Something does not sound correct. You should not have the fixture blacks connected to ceiling whites.

Can you post a pic?

Old 11-12-11, 08:14 PM
light receptable

I have what is called a switch loop or that is what i was told when i tried to hook up the other light fixture which i think they said where wires are reversed.I wish i could take a picture but i can't all i can tell you is these wires are in junction box.
2 black wires that were capped not being used
2 white wires that are twisted together that were being used
1 white wire that was being used

light fixture---2 blacks & 2 whites Thanks for your help

Old 11-12-11, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I suspected an improperly wire switch loop based on the colors but was looking for confirmation. You should not have a white connected to both the black and white fixture leads in a properly wired switch loop. The proper way would be for the white to be a constant hot and the black returning from the switch is a switched hot.

Can you confirm that the single white is in the same cable as one of the blacks capped together?

Old 11-12-11, 09:49 PM
light receptable

Yes single white is in the same line as the 2 blacks capped together.
Thanks for your help

Old 11-13-11, 08:17 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here is a basic switch loop.

Is this how you have it wired?

Old 11-13-11, 11:12 AM
light fixture

from switch i have a black & white wire then in box i have 2 blacks capped & 2 white wires twisted together & then a single white wire.I just don't know how to get both sides of light to come on.please any help would be appreciated

Old 11-13-11, 12:47 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Connections

2 black wires that were capped not being used
2 white wires that are twisted together that were being used
1 white wire that was being used
Where did the 3rd white wire come from?

A power cable and a switch loop cable should give a total of 2 blacks and 2 whites. Your description is not clear as described. Please explain further.

Also, are the two black wires in the ceiling box connected to each other and capped or are they capped separately?

Old 11-13-11, 02:13 PM
Do you have only two wires at the switch or are there other wires you haven't mentioned?

If this is an incandescent fixture with four bulb holders often the fixture would have four black wires and four white wires. All of the black wires from the fixture should go to the black wire from the switch loop cable. All of the white wires should go to the white wire of the "power in" cable. Is that how you have it hooked up?

Last edited by ray2047; 11-13-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 04:07 PM
light fixture

There is only 4 wires coming from light fixture white & black from each side. The single white wire is coming out of the same line where as one of the black wires that is capped.
This is how it is run to box
3 lines run to this box 2 coming from ceiling with each line having a white & black from each
white wire from each line coming from ceiling tied together
black wire from each line coming from ceiling has been capped & also the black wire from switch receptable is capped.All 3 of the black wires are capped & twisted together so instead of having 2 capped all 3 black wires are capped.Thanks for your help
Also only have 2 wires at switch

Old 11-13-11, 04:32 PM
So you have one line cable (power in ), one load cable (power out), and one switch cable. Do you know which cable is which? Do you have a multimeter. You really need one if you don't know which is which.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-13-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 04:56 PM
light fixture

I Hate to admit this but all this trouble i have put myself through & several of you i found the problem for some reason the 2 lights that would not come had blown for some reason.My wife had asked me this morning are you sure the 2 lights are good & i told her i was sure so about 10 min. ago i thought maybe it could be the bulbs & replaced & everything worked like its supposed to. I really do appreciate all the help & hope this doesn't deter my asking for help in the future which i know i will need. Thanks alot