how to remove netral bond from homelite 500watt generator

Old 11-14-11, 03:10 PM
how to remove netral bond from homelite 500watt generator

I recently bought a new Homelight 5000 watt generator. Its neutral bonded to frame, which gives me two choices. One is to get a transfer switch that switches neutral simutaneously with the two other conductors- this enables me to install this generator as a seperatley derived system. The secound option is to make the wiring such that the generator has a floating neutral while being used as a backup home power generator-If I can find someone who can tell me how exactly this is done I would save myself a lot of expense and time compared to a new three pole nuetral switch devise.thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
If your going to connect the generator to your home wiring, the only safe way is with a transfer switch. Your neutrals should not need to be disconnected from each other as they will be connected via the earth (even though the earth is not that good of a conductor) through the ground rods. From what I understand, your generator is a separately derived system no matter what.

Old 11-14-11, 08:46 PM
Tolyn, in order for the generator to be a "separately derived source" it must be COMPLETELY disconnected from the utility. That means both "hots' AND the "neutral" must be switched. Having a solidly connected neutral (bonded to earth ground in the service panel) AND a "neutral-to-equipment ground" at the generator creates a parallel path for neutral currents on the neutral and equipment grounding conductors of the interconnect cable. This is covered in the 2011 NEC.

There are two options available. "Float" the neutral at the generator (not really the preferred option) OR switch the neutral of the transfer panel between the generator and utility as with the hot wires.

Old 11-15-11, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
How would the OP's generator install be any different then everybody else who have posted here? I will admit, I am using the 2008 code book as the 2011 book is in the truck. Did this change in 2011? I don't recall it in my update.

Old 11-15-11, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
I been using this for knowledge with generator issues. Bonding, GFI, and grounding.

Not an electrician and dont have the code books, but this seems like its written in laymens terms.

http://159.105.83.167/Portals/0/WP%2...tandards22.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 11-15-11, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the post Lawrosa. While that info is a little older (sites info from 2002 code and later) it was still helpful.

Old 11-15-11, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Tolyn what has changed in regards to gens with the new codes?

I think the only thing I read are the new transfer switches that switch out the neutral...??? And thats probably because gens are being bonded with GFI's now.

My assumption.

Mike NJ

Old 11-15-11, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
That is what I am also trying to find out. I will be doing some reading when I get a chance. We don't really deal much with hooking generators up to houses (well, we haven't in the 10+ years I have been an electrician) so I am not well versed with them.

Old 11-15-11, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
You have the code books? Is there a place to view the codes online free??

Mike NJ

Old 11-15-11, 10:58 PM
You have to register (free) and then you can view. Scan down to just above Training.

NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ