Ceiling Fan Lights "popping"

Old 11-14-11, 06:47 PM
Ceiling Fan Lights "popping"

Hello. We live in a house that is about 6 years old and built very well. The ceiling fan in our great room makes a "popping" noise every time that we turn off the lights on the fan. It sounds like something is crackling inside the bulbs. Are they simply overheating or are they shrinking after cooling off? We have replaced the bulbs with a different kind (from incandescent to halogen) and still experience the same issues. The noise does not really bother my wife and I, but it absolutely freaks out one of our dogs to the point where she shivers and jumps into our laps (her issues are a separate story). Short of replacing the entire fan is there anything that can be done to stop this noise so our dog can relax? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is a new on for me. Check back and see if others can help

Old 11-14-11, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Halogen lamps are much hotter than an incandescent bulbs You might want to try CFL's. I suggest removing the bulbs and turn the light on and off and see if it makes the sound. If it does, then it is something internal of the fan/light kit. If it does not make the sound then start adding one lamp at a time and do the same on/off test each time. This may shed some light on where the noise is coming from.

You didn't mention if it does the noise every time you turn off the light or only if you leave it on for a length of time? Also, does this fan have a remote?

If you like the fan, and you find the light kit is causing the noise, you could just replace the light kit.

Old 11-15-11, 06:32 AM
Thank you.

Tolyn,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, it does happen every time we turn the lights off. When we do have the lights on, it does tend to be for a long period of time (at least an hour I would guess). The fan does have a remote as our ceiling is probably 20+ feet tall. I appreciate the tips and will definitely try those. Any other tips/insight will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-15-11, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Lets start with the test I mentioned and go from there. What you want to do is isolate the noise so you know where it is coming from. Then we can go from there and repair/replace it. Things to try are:
Removing the lamps and turning it on and off.
installing the lamps one by one and turning it on and off between each one.
Turning it on and off for varying lengths of time.
Turning it on and off with the fan running.
Turning it on and off with the fan off.
Using the remote
using the wall switch.

You should I get where I'm going.

Old 11-16-11, 10:05 AM
Thanks, again.

I will try these things this weekend. Since I'm new to this format, is there a way to have an email sent to me when someone replies to my thread? Otherwise I have to randomly check back here to see if anyone has replied. Also, is there an easy way to find my threads that I have created? Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-16-11, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't help you with the popping issue, but you can subscribe to a thread.

When you reply (or edit one of your posts), click on "Subscribe to this thread and notify" and select "Instantly through email". You'll have to either edit a post or reply using the advanced tool. You can't do it with the quick reply below.

Also, double check your email address in your profile to be sure it's still correct.

Old 11-16-11, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Also, is there an easy way to find my threads that I have created?
Just click on your name (upper left under "New Posts", then click "find latest started threads".

Old 11-16-11, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
At the top middle of the thread page page: Thread tools >Subscibe to this thread > email > subscribe.

Old 11-16-11, 11:59 AM
Is there just one "pop" or multiple "pops"?

And can you describe the sound better?
Is is like a muffled firecracker?
Like a cork popping from a Champaign bottle?
Like a plastic bag being smushed and it pops?

Or more like a click?
Like a hand held clicker?

Old light switches when flopped make a "clicking" noise. Is it like that?

Then can you remove the light dome and listen to where the pop/click is coming from? The bulb? Or inside the fan?

If you take a paper towel roller and place one end to your ear, then point the other at various locations, you can identify the precise location a sound is coming from.

Old 11-18-11, 12:35 PM
Thanks

Thank you everyone for helping me subscribe. Much easier. My wife and I have determined that the "popping" sound (actually, probably closer to a "crackling" sound) is probably coming from the globes that surround the actual bulbs themselves (we have tried all different kinds of bulbs). So, since the ceiling is 20+ feet high, we are going to have to have someone out to get up there and help us take it apart and replace the globes. I don't feel comfortable getting on a ladder that high, nor do I have a ladder that will reach that high. Thank you again for everything.

Old 11-18-11, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Happy to help! Let us know the outcome.