3-way to 4 way switch

Old 11-14-11, 11:10 PM
3-way to 4 way switch

HI all, I'm trying to upgrade my kitchen light switch from 2 to 3 switches. I thought i got the cabling right but i can't get it right. I got the 4 way switch correctly but i can't seem to get the 3 ways right, i think.

One of the 3 way switch is acting like a master switch which if on the others works correctly when its off the others don't work at all. I think i made the mistake here. Any suggestions what to do, should I just try each cable one by one in different order.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 11:35 PM
The neutral of the source goes directly to the load. The black of the source goes to the common terminal of one of the 3 ways. The black of the load goes to the common of the other 3 way. There are many different physical setups, so it's hard to say exactly where the problem is. I would suspect the 3 way that is acting like a master has 2 of its wires mixed.

Old 11-15-11, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you could describe the procedure you used to add the 4 way it would help greatly.

Old 11-15-11, 11:48 PM
Sorry got home late today, i could not test, but here is what i did. I moved one of the 3 way switches to the end and switched it with the 4 way switch. From the moved 3 way switch i took the top 2 (black, red) to the black side of the 4 way, used new wiring connected 2 to the brass side and connected them to the removed 3 way switch, i left the bottom black on the 3 way switch.

Hope i made some sense, hard to tell the story of what i did.

Old 11-16-11, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you moved the travellers from the old 3w to one pair of screws on the 4w and added new travellers to the relocated 3w to the other pair on the 4w, you would just need to splice the common to the new conductor on the common of the 3w. Splice all grounds and connect to the switches.

It sounds like you have a traveller switched with the common.