Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

need recommendation- hard wired heater removed- what to do with the wires

Old 11-16-11, 10:40 PM

We have electric baseboard heaters. I am removing the units as they are so inefficient and I am removing paneling from the room so they need to go (think dark walnut-ick)

The old heaters are hard wired in. I do not need outlets where I am removing them, but would this be the most practical way to safely terminate the wires? I could also just install a junction box and terminate, covering with a blank cover. This wire exits the wall very near the floor. If this is the better choice- what it the safest way to terminate the wires?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
If you are sure you will never need them again disconnect at the breaker box, cut them short, and shove them out of the breaker box. On the other end cut off and remove the cable you can get to easily and abandon the rest in place.

Old 11-16-11, 11:31 PM
This place has a baseboard in every room. It would be more than one circuit wouldn't it? There are 11 units total throughout the house. If the circuits only have heaters this would be the best method by far. I just do not know how to tell if they are on the same circuit as nearby outlets

Old 11-17-11, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have 11 baseboard heaters??? Bet that's expensive. The heaters won't be on the same circuit as nearby receptacles, and may be 240 volt units to boot. Have you looked in your breaker panel to see how many breakers are dedicated to baseboard heaters? My only concern is there may be two of the heaters daisy chained. Removing one before the other will make the other inoperable. Let us know about the breaker situation.

Old 11-17-11, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can test to see which breaker controls the heaters by turning them on and flipping a breaker and see which cool off.

Old 11-17-11, 07:48 AM
Once you know what breakers control the heaters you can turn the breakers off and see if any outlets or lights no longer work.

Old 11-17-11, 09:23 AM
The only thing I can add is that I like to identify dead cables buried in the wall. I wire nut the ends of the individual wires, tape them back and use a sharpie on the jacket to ID them. Just a courtesy to the next guy that opens up the wall and finds a cable lying there.

Chandler - Years ago when we bought our current house it had baseboard electric. It was a near deal breaker because electricity was so expensive. Not so anymore, at least in my area. We used it for one winter and then converted to oil. Now, with the high price of heating oil I find myself thinking maybe I should have stuck with electric.

Old 11-17-11, 09:59 AM
Easy, Safe and code compliant.....

Add a junction box use wire-nuts and label if possible.

Old 11-17-11, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by laraujo View Post
Add a junction box use wire-nuts and label if possible.
Yes, but not always the best solution aesthetically. Got to keep the better half happy too.

And a belated, welcome to the forums, Laraujo.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-17-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 05:39 PM
I am removing the units as they are so inefficient and I am removing paneling from the room so they need to go
What kind of heat did you replace the baseboard heaters with?

Old 11-20-11, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I am glad I can use a junction box with wire nuts safely. Marking them is indeed a good idea. We are using a pellet stove in the main family area now- that and a few portable heaters for the bedrooms at night. It is a little cold in the mornings sometimes, but Oregon is pretty mild compared to the midwest winters we were used to.

I didn't fully comprehend that the heaters were hard wired in when the paneling was getting torn off. I should have turned them on before we yanked the first one out : )