GFCI Electrical Problem

Old 11-17-11, 08:36 PM
Lightbulb GFCI Electrical Problem

HELP! I have replace an outlet under my sink with a GFCI outlet. I have two lines coming into the outlet box. One is B&W (live) and another B&W (switch) that goes to a switch on above the counter. My garbage disposal is plugged into the GFCI outlet and the switch turns the outlet on and off. Downstream the microwave and light above the kitchen table are on the same line. I tied the Black (live) to the Black (switch) together with a wire nut. I put the White (switch) into the black live terminal and the and the White (live into the neutral live terminal. Sure enough the switch turns the outlet on and off. However, it also turns the microwave and light above the kitchen table on and off. I have not added or deleted any wires coming into the GFCI outlet. These same wires were connected to the old non GFCI outlet and worked properly i.e. the switch turned the garbage disposal on and off but did not effect the microwave or Kitchen table light. How can I make this work? What have I done wrong. Please help me. --TD

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Something in your description doesn't sound right. If all you have is a 2-wire switch loop cable and power in cable you can't be feeding a down stream receptacle from that box. For that you would need a third cable into the box below the sink. What are the cables and wiring at the switch?

Old 11-18-11, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no reason to have a GFI under the sink.

The disposal circuit should not be powering anything above the countertop.

I agree with Ray there is a cable or conductor missing in your description, perhaps there is a red involved?

Old 11-18-11, 05:31 AM
Lightbulb delusional

I know it sounds impossible but as I stated nothing has changed except the GFI. I had two wires A&B live and A&B switch coming into the outlet. I changed the outlet to GFI because an inspector came through my house and said it had to be a GFI. I guess I can tear into the switch and see what is happening there but I never touched the switch. -TD

Old 11-18-11, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What code did the inspector site that requires a GFI for the disposal?

This sounds like a mis-wired switch loop. A pic might help.

Old 11-18-11, 06:53 AM
I bet if you connected the incoming hot (black) to the white from the switch loop and connect the black from the switch loop to the brass screws on the outlet your downstream items will work.

It sounds like they may have tapped into one of the legs of the switch loop at the switch.

Old 11-18-11, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
I changed the outlet to GFI because an inspector came through my house and said it had to be a GFI
Home inspector or electrical inspector. While there are good home inspectors a few are not as knowledgeable as they should be in areas such as electrical. That said as PCBoss said there should be nothing but a garbage disposal and/or a dishwasher on that circuit.

Old 11-18-11, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Belgarid wrote:
I bet if you connected the incoming hot (black) to the white from the switch loop and connect the black from the switch loop to the brass screws on the outlet your downstream items will work.

It sounds like they may have tapped into one of the legs of the switch loop at the switch.
That may be but where did they grab the neutral? Maybe from a ground? If so some major rewiring is needed to make this work safely. Definitely need to know what's at the switch.