3way switch/Timer for outdoor lights

Old 11-21-11, 06:20 AM
3way switch/Timer for outdoor lights

I searched this subject but cant seem to find anything related to my situation.

I have a 3way switch (2 rocker switches that control the outdoor garage lights).

So, im trying to replace the center rocker switch (located in a panel of 3 rocker switches) with the timer. The left switch is a 3 way switch that controls the interior garage lights. The 2nd switch (3 way) controls the outside garage lights and the 3rd switch is a single pole switch to control the motion light outside the garage.

About 20 feet away on the other end of the garage are the other 2 switches that also control the interior garage lights as well as the outdoor lights. The rocker switch in this location for the the outdoor light has black, red, white and ground (std 3 way switch)

So the timer that I am using has a black, blue, red and green wire. The wires coming out of the box where I want to set up the timer are white, red, black and copper (ground). Im using and intermatic St01C timer.

When I used a volt tester on the wires, white and red were hot. black was not.

Any ideas which wires to hook up to the timer? if i have to disable the other 3way switch to get it working, please explain how as well.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-11, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
First forget any other switches in a box except the one you are replacing. Do not touch any connections except the ones on the switch you are replacing.

Second with 3-way switches most important is not the color of the wires but which wire is connected to the common terminal. That will be the odd colored screw, usually dark colored (but not green).

One lead on your new switch will be common. That must be hooked to the same wire as the common of the old switch. The other two wires are travelers and it doesn't matter which traveler goes to which traveler.

When I used a volt tester on the wires, white and red were hot. black was not.
Not a relevant test. The wire to the common is key to correct hookup.

Old 11-21-11, 09:37 AM
Thanks but that cant be done now since my buddy who claimed to know what he was doing forgot what went where. Is there a way to tell inside the box or is it trial and error from here.

IM pretty sure the common is the white wire. The timer instructions say black to power, blue to load and red for 3way.

So, does that mean (timer to box), black to white common, blue to red or black in box, red cap off and green to ground?

Does anything need to happen on the other 3way switch that also controls the outside garage lights?

Thanks.

Last edited by stickshift; 11-21-11 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post
Old 11-23-11, 03:57 PM
Anything from anyone? Someone must know the answer.

Old 11-23-11, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
I do not know what they mean by "red for 3way", I was hoping a pro to weigh in. Can you give a link to an on line instruction sheet?

Old 11-24-11, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the first thing I would do is to re-install the old 3 way and get everything back to working order. I suspect the red and white are travelers.