GFCI Outlet Melted

Old 11-21-11, 11:49 AM
GFCI Outlet Melted

After having trouble resetting my GFCI outlet in my garage, I replaced it. It works fine now, but I noticed the plastic on the old outlet was melted at the point where the hot wire connected to the line side of the outlet. Is this likely to occur again? Should I have an electrician look at this?

Thanks for your service.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-11, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
You weren't running a space heater on it were you? Most likely a loose connection. Is your wiring aluminum?

Old 11-21-11, 12:02 PM
The only thing ever plugged in to this outlet is a power screwdriver; and it's almost always plugged in. Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet?

I don't think I have aluminum wiring. How would I know for sure?

Old 11-21-11, 12:05 PM
The wires I connected to the new outlet are copper, so I assume that means I don't have aluminum wiring.

Old 11-21-11, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think I have aluminum wiring. How would I know for sure?
Basicly copper wire is copper colored. Aluminum is silver colored. There are exceptions such as tinned wire but that is the general way to know.

d in to this outlet is a power screwdriver; and it's almost always plugged in. Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet
Yes.

Old 11-21-11, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by kseawel View Post
Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet?
That is the most likely culprit. Another possibility is corrosion from a water leak or some chemical agent stored nearby like pool chlorine, salt.