GFCI Outlet Melted

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-21-11, 10:49 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 68
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Outlet Melted

After having trouble resetting my GFCI outlet in my garage, I replaced it. It works fine now, but I noticed the plastic on the old outlet was melted at the point where the hot wire connected to the line side of the outlet. Is this likely to occur again? Should I have an electrician look at this?

Thanks for your service.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-21-11, 10:56 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You weren't running a space heater on it were you? Most likely a loose connection. Is your wiring aluminum?
 
  #3  
Old 11-21-11, 11:02 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 68
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only thing ever plugged in to this outlet is a power screwdriver; and it's almost always plugged in. Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet?

I don't think I have aluminum wiring. How would I know for sure?
 
  #4  
Old 11-21-11, 11:05 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 68
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wires I connected to the new outlet are copper, so I assume that means I don't have aluminum wiring.
 
  #5  
Old 11-21-11, 11:09 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I don't think I have aluminum wiring. How would I know for sure?
Basicly copper wire is copper colored. Aluminum is silver colored. There are exceptions such as tinned wire but that is the general way to know.

d in to this outlet is a power screwdriver; and it's almost always plugged in. Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet
Yes.
 
  #6  
Old 11-21-11, 11:23 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kseawel View Post
Are you saying maybe one of the wires wasn't connected tightly in the old outlet?
That is the most likely culprit. Another possibility is corrosion from a water leak or some chemical agent stored nearby like pool chlorine, salt.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: