LeRoy82: Back feeding Intentionally to Po'Co

Old 11-22-11, 01:55 AM
LeRoy82: Back feeding Intentionally to Po'Co

I have been reading all this info on unsafe back feeding, for backup generators... None of them answered my question, so here it is.

Transfer Switch, is not going to do me any good here, I want back feeding.

I have a generator I want to back feed excess power to the Power Company...

What is the best, and safest way to do this?
Don't tell me it can't be done.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-22-11 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-11, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
First thing to do is ask your power company about their requirements.

Old 11-22-11, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
This question kinda doesn't make sense. If it's an emergency generator...it would only be running when power was out, so there would be no way to send it to the grid anyway.

Old 11-22-11, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt that you can produce power cheaper than the utility does.

As Ray already said, the power company needs to be consulted to see if they will allow this on their system.

Old 11-22-11, 01:17 PM
The only time that "backfeeding" to the utility makes any sense is if you have a free energy source such as solar, wind or small hydro. In all cases it is necessary to synchronize the power from the free supply to the utility and THAT is the biggest technical problem after getting the utility to even accept you into a program. These programs rarely allow DIY installations.

Old 11-22-11, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ask your power company about their renewable or distributed generation program.

Old 11-22-11, 11:26 PM
Exclamation

Renewable, right...

Ok, guess that is the best option, talk to the power company.
Thanks for your input on this issue.

Old 11-23-11, 06:15 AM
Running even a good diesel genset will cost you at least 2x what the POCO charges.
Going to gas makes it close to 5x. A "typical" house needs about 20k$ worth of solar to make your bill dive from 200/mo to about 8. Rough numbers here, but in the ball park.

Old 11-23-11, 07:08 AM
Without the synchronizor, the utility wins every time! My little genny has a digital screen that shows hours, volts, and cycles per second. Rarely is it 60 exactly. Unless you get the current alternating exactly, your genny will lose the bayyle.

Old 11-23-11, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by LeRoy82 View Post
Renewable, right...
In most areas renewables are the only source that can be backfed legally without a generation order. Fossil fuel generators need to be a licensed generation facility which then takes orders from the power company control center. There's a daily auction where generator operators bid the price they are willing to accept for producing power that day taking into account the market price of fuel, labor, environmental costs, maintenance, etc. The power company then decides how much power they need to buy that day to satisfy the expected demand, and they select the lowest cost generation companies. Small fossil fuel generators are so expensive to operate that they are virtually never called on to run, or if they are only a few hours per year during the hottest summer days or other emergency situation.

Old 11-23-11, 09:30 PM
i have a ten kilowatt solar system back feeding my local provider (in ontario canada) i can tell you that to hook to the grid you have to satisfy them that your power producing equipment is syncronized with theirs and also my system had to be built that if it does not "feel" power from the grid coming in, it will not (can not) send power to the grid, this protects the workers in my area from ever having a back fed line and harming someone

Old 11-24-11, 08:35 AM
I took a solar power installation class last summer, and I will echo billy boy's remarks. There are a few sync devices that are approved for use in adding power to the grid, and not to use one would be foolish. There's also the matter of the electric meter. My area's provider, PPL, uses remotely monitored meters that will run in reverse. The course instructor, a journeyman electrician who is also a licensed inspector in Philly and the surrounding counties, said that anyone served by PECO (Philadelphia Electric Co.) has meters that will NOT reverse, so that anyone 'co-generating' needs an out-bound meter. A little harder that just hooking your 3K Honda to the grid!

Old 11-24-11, 11:19 AM
You would use a special "grid tie" inverter which synchronizes to the grid and also shuts down power in the event of a grid power failure. Here is one manufacturer...
Renewable Energies - Schneider Electric

Then this intentional "back feeding" is called "net metering". Google that for more info.

Note that what the electric company will pay you for the electricity you supply is dictated by your states laws. In my state they will only credit you for electricity but will not pay you if you generate more electricity than you use. Also I think you still need to pay transmission charges and taxes. In other states they will pay for excess electricity. So check your state laws on net metering as well as what your electric company says...