Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I add an outlet to existing circuit running to jet tub?

Old 11-24-11, 11:35 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am attempting to replace the last of the knob and tube wiring in an older house and because a previous owner installed a jet tub right in the way I can't get at the old wire running to the bathroom outlet. It would be very easy to tie the outlet into the wire powering the jet tub. The jet tub motor is rated at 9.8 amps and it is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit with 14-2 wire. The jet tub would never be used while the plug is being used. However I realize there may be safety issues over and above the 12 amp rule dictating a dedicated circuit for the jet tub. Can I safely make the connection?
THanks
Doug

Old 11-24-11, 01:14 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
No. A jetted tub requires a dedicated circuit. Also, at least in the US, a bathroom receptacle must be on a 20 ampere circuit and that circuit can only feed bathroom receptacles (multiple bathrooms) or the receptacle, light(s) and exhaust fan in a single bathroom.

I suspect Canadian code is the same in this area.

Old 11-24-11, 01:56 PM
W
That's what I thought. I'll just have live with the old wiring untill we decide to redo the bathroom. THanks

Old 11-24-11, 06:41 PM
Can you just abandon the old K&T wire that runs to the bathroom outlet and run a new wire to it from a different route?

Old 11-27-11, 09:27 AM
W
Unfortunately it's an 85 year old 1&1/2 story with no way of doing anything easy or even with moderate difficultly. If whoever put in the jet tub had replaced the K&T during the construction it wouldn't have been a problem but now it would take ripping out the floor at the very least. Moral to the story is when doing a renovation on an old house think about it and do it right.
Thanks
Doug

Old 11-27-11, 10:42 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the wiring area of the tub wall is an outside wall you could come from outside.

Old 11-27-11, 11:50 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
In an old house there is often room next to the cast iron drain/vent stack to fish a new NM-B (NMD in Canada) cable up to the bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: