Outdoor GFI box

Old 11-24-11, 06:48 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor GFI box

I have a hot tub outside on the deck. THe GFI panel box is against the house next to the hot tub. The door to the panel was left open during a rain storm. Now the switch trips when I try to turn it on. Is it toast? Is there a way to check it, wait for it to dry out? I have turned the main breaker inside the house on and off, but so far nothing is working. No power to the hot tub.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-11, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Even if water has gotten in there may be unseen damage even if the GFI resets. Is this a 2 pole breaker?

Old 11-24-11, 08:10 PM
B
It may work when it dries out...

But sometimes things are installed in such a way that they collect water and it can't drain out. Like a top opening open, but all the bottoms sealed. Then it could take a LONG time to dry out if filled with water.

I would turn off the main breaker, then open it up and tilt it various ways to let any water drain out. Then take a hair blow dryer to it. Then if it does not work, wait a couple of days. If still not working, replace it.

P.S. Also be sure no other electrical boxes filled with water. Like if there is a junction box below that.

I like to seal outside things so they are sealed at the top, but a small opening at the bottom so water can drain out.

Old 11-25-11, 10:19 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
I believe the box can be slavaged once it dries out, but I would definitely recommend replacing the GFI breaker. Like pcboss stated:

Even if water has gotten in there may be unseen damage even if the GFI resets

Old 11-25-11, 01:22 PM
It's probably locked out.