Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help with electrical circuit for an electric gate 150' from house

Old 11-27-11, 08:55 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am putting in a circuit for an electric gate that is 150' from my
house. I am putting 1 plug, one outdoor light and the opener on thecircuit. I only need a 15 amp circuit ( the draw of the opener is small), but it is a long run. I was going to use number 10 wire in 1
inch pvc conduit. My first question is is this reasonable? The second is do I need to run this number 10 wire back to the panel or can I take the power from a 20 amp garage circuit that has 12/2 wire
Thanks for the help,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You will be better off running individual 10 gauge THWN wires, rather than what I think you are proposing (10-2 wg uf). The 1" conduit will be sufficient, as will the 20 amp circuit breaker. This does depend on the rating of your motor, which you are sure it will handle. Just run a black, white and green wire from your panel to the location of the gate/receptacle/light. Not sure what you mean by running it "back to the panel". I would dedicate a circuit for this use rather than adding it on to an existing one. How will your light be activated? Switch, photocell, timer, etc? Where will this control be located? Better to locate photocell at light to keep from having to run a switch loop back to the garage, unless that is how you want to control it.

Old 11-28-11, 05:26 AM
A
Also run a parallel conduit for low voltage in case you decide that you later want a wired intercom, doorbell, camera, cable TV, etc. out there.

Old 11-28-11, 08:05 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Many electric gates operate off a 12v battery and AC is only for a small battery charger. Is that your setup?

Old 11-28-11, 09:15 PM
G
Update

I am going to run 3 individual wires and another conduit next to it with cat5 cable for the key pad the light will be photo type. I
Wanted to know if i could run his setup off of an existing 20 amp circuit or if i need to run the 10 gauge wire all the way to the panel i do have one more spot on the panel before it is maxed out
I may put a subpanel in the garage one day but did want to do his at this time. I wasnt sure if i need to run the 10 back to the pAnel since it is only a 20 amp circuit. The gate motor is a dc motor and just uses the ac to charge the battery. Thanks for the help. SAm

Old 11-29-11, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would just run 12 gauge THWN, since you clarified it is battery operated and you are basically running a charger, light and receptacle. As I stated earlier, however, I would dedicate this circuit and NOT run it off an existing circuit. Main reason, if you have to work on this gate system and kill the circuit, you don't want the kitchen lights to go off, or the kid's computer. See?

Old 11-29-11, 06:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As Chandler says #12 would be fine and save you some money. It is unlikely you would ever pull more then 10 amps and even at 10 amps your voltage drop would only be ~6V still leaving 114v.

Old 11-29-11, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
150' you may want to pull in stranded wire for a easier pull.