New Outlet off existing wiring?

Old 11-28-11, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Outlet off existing wiring?

I'm doing an laundry/utility room extension and will be dropping an outlet in to the wall of the extension for my refrigerator. I will be pulling 3 switches from the old wall to the new wall. It's 4 wire (called 3-wire I believe - Red, Black, White, Grnd). There are 7 sets of wires going to 3 switches currently. I'll be moving those. I wanted to know if it'd be possible/legal to splice out (in a junction box) and drop an always on plug from those wires for the refrigerator?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 08:22 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I wanted to know if it'd be possible/legal to splice out (in a junction box) and drop an always on plug from those wires for the refrigerator?
Assuming those aren't all switch loops and there is a hot cable, yes. What though is the usual load on those cables? You don't want the refrigerator tripping the breaker when the compressor starts up. Best practice would be to run a dedicated line for the refrigerator.

Then there is also the question of box fill. That switch box is probably pretty close to limit or over with 7 cables.