universal adapter for router

Old 11-28-11, 10:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question universal adapter for router

I have a D-Link whose power adapter went on me. I thought it was the whole router, but I have a universal power adapter that I have used for various things. Its rated up to 1700mA with various user selectable voltage settings ranging from 3v-12v (in increments of 1.5v).

I decided to maybe try it on my D-Link router. The adapter states it outputs 5V ~ 2A. I set my universal adapter to 4.5v and gave it a plug that fit the router. WAALA!!!, the router came back on an became fully functional.

I'm assuming since I am under 5V (@ 4.5) that I am OK there. Is it also OK to be under for the milliamps too? I would think so, but figured I would ask around. I've unplugged it until I get some opinions on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It may shorten the life of the new adapter, since it is under the amperage output rating. It is always best to try and match voltage within a few fractions, and the amperage as close as you can.

Old 11-28-11, 11:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I was at Radio Shack a couple years ago needing a power supply adapter like this and they were making an effort to have universal capability - they had broken the process down into different parts of the adapter so they could assemble the right ones to build the right adapter for the appliance. Don't know whether they still do this, though.

Old 11-28-11, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
The milliamps rating is typically the max the power supply can supply.