Can I add a Main Breaker to a lug panel?

Old 11-28-11, 01:05 PM
Can I add a Main Breaker to a lug panel?

I have a Murray 125 lug panel down the line from the main service disconnect. I am wondering if I can add a main breaker for this panel in the box. There is a knockout for one but there isn't one in there.. If I ever go over the 125 amps then I have to go into this locked room and reset the breaker heading to the sub and it is a pain. I don't know if Murray has some sort of retrofit for this issue. Does anyone know?

thanks for your help..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Since you say you have to go to a locked room to access the main service I will assume it is not a single family home.

A few things are at play here:
1) Since you are not living in a house, I doubt very much that you will ever draw more than 125 amps unless your place is all electric. (Stove, Dryer, AC, Heat, hot water, etc.)
2) Even if you had a main breaker in your panel equal to the size of the overcurrent device in the main service, which might not be 125 amps, it might not trip before the one in the main service does. To be sure, you would have to put a breaker smaller than the one in the main service.

On to your main question, What is the model number of your main lug panel? It appears that Murry is part of Siemens and a model number would point us in the right direction.

Old 11-28-11, 06:26 PM
Old 11-28-11, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Good, Glad you found it.

Remember to check the breaker feeding your panel to see what the rating is on that.