Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Add outlet from switch loop with no neutral wire at switch

Add outlet from switch loop with no neutral wire at switch

Old 11-28-11, 07:40 PM
Question Add outlet from switch loop with no neutral wire at switch

I have added an outlet to a switch looped switch with no neutral wire (I ran a 14/2 wire from the switch to the new outlet). The outlet works only when the switch is "off". When the switch is "on" and controlling another outlet with a lamp plugged in, the new outlet has no power and is off. This is OK becuase the new outlet is only used at night to power a night light, but I can't figure out why this setup operates at all as I've read here that you can't tap an outlet from a switch loop. Can someone explain why? Should I abandon this setup, remove the switched outlet (where power comes in) and bring both a black (hot) and white (neutral) wire to the switch box so I can run an outlet and take the switch out of the loop?

I hpe you get the gist of what I'm trying to expalin.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Replace the 14-2 of the switch loop with 14-3.

Old 11-28-11, 08:17 PM
The 14/2 was connected to the single pole switch and new outlet. Not sure how I would connect 14/3 from switch to new outlet. Wouldn't the 14/3 have to come from the outlet where the power source is?

Thank you

Old 11-29-11, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A switch loop does not have a neutral. The white is a hot conductor.

You should rewire this.

Old 11-29-11, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure how I would connect 14/3 from switch to new outlet.
The 14-3 replaces the existing switch loop between the light and switch.
Wouldn't the 14/3 have to come from the outlet where the power source is
On a switch loop power is at the fixture being switched. In this case that is the light. The 14-3 allows you to bring a neutral into the switch box for the new receptacle.

At the light the 14-3 red goes to the light. The 14-3 black to the power in black. The 14-3 white to the power in neutral.

At the switch the 14-3 red to the switch. The 14-3 black to the black of the receptacle and pigtailed to the switch. The 14-3 white to the receptacle white.

Old 11-29-11, 09:13 PM
Thumbs up

pcboss, I was under the assumption that without a neutral wire you couldn't get a completed circut. not true?

Thanks Ray2047, I'll re-wire.

Old 11-30-11, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
pcboss, I was under the assumption that without a neutral wire you couldn't get a completed circut. not true?
That is true. That is why you have to replace the 14-2 switch loop cable to a 14-3 cable so you have a neutral in the switch box.

The white wire in a 14-2 switch loop is supposed to be recolored black, red or any color but white, gray or green on both ends. Apparently the installer didn't do that. Just remember white is not always neutral.

Old 11-30-11, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In a 2 wire switch loop the white is bringing power from the fixture to the switch. The black is the switched hot back to the fixture.