Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New GFCI outlet -"line" side has power, but I cannot reset

Old 11-30-11, 06:31 PM

I am attempting to upgrade an existing outlet to GFCI. I have done this type of project before.

1) I tested the 3 exposed wires with a 3-pronged tester : ground is OK ; white/black are not inverted.

2) I connect the 3 wires to the GFCI outlet. Nothing is connected to the "LOAD" side.

3) when power is ON again,
- no current is coming out of the outlet.
- the reset button stays in the "out" position, even if I press it.
However, my 2-wire tester tells me that there is power on the 2 "LINE" screws.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-11, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Everything sounds correct. Are you saying there are only 3 wires in the box? Are the wires under the clamps and securely tightened?

Old 12-01-11, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is most likely a bad GFCI. I have run into this many times. I even put in a new one that was bad, so it is not out of the realm of reality. Replacing with a third GFCI fixed the problem.
Another thought, you may have a "ground fault". Remove the bare wire from the receptacle and restore power. Will it reset? Will it reset with no power to the GFCI? Return the bare wire to the green screw and remove the neutral and cap it. Restore power. Will it reset?

Old 12-01-11, 06:38 AM
Thank you very much. Chandler is right, it was a faulty new GFCI outlet.

Questions:
Now all new outlets seem to have a green LED, always on.
1) There are too many LEDs in my kitchen. I won't know when an LED indicates a serious problem. I already has trouble distinguishing the smoke alarm, the methane alarm and the CO alarm when one of them is activated

2) I try to reduce my energy waste, but I get LEDs I don';t need, even if the power use is small, it adds up.

Last edited by harvey1; 12-01-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Depending on the brand of the GFCI the LEDs will react differently. Yours sound like they are on on when they are "normal". If you hit the test button and trip them the LED may turn off indicating a trip, or may just stay on showing you that there is voltage present.
With other brands of GFCI's the LED stays off until they trip indicating an issue which might be better for you. Look at the package of the GFCi and it might tell which ones perform the way you want.