Motion light

Old 01-10-01, 06:53 PM
racotterel
Visiting Guest
Question

This is basically about code requirements and not how to do it. I want to tap into a bedroom outlet thru a wall on the side of my house to get power for these lights. I will be using 14 3 wire to do the job with 1/2" conduits. Now does code or safety require the junction box on wall to be metal waterproof or can I use non metal water proof to do this? Also must the light fixture box be non metal or metal.......Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-01, 11:34 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Non-metallic is definitely fine. In fact, preferable in many ways. Do yourelf a favor and replace the receptacle you're tapping off with a GFCI for about $8 bucks. And instead of putting 14/3 NM cable (sounds like you're using romex), run 3 individual #12 THHN conductors in the 1/2" conduit instead. Most folks in here don't generally run #14 even where permitted, and I don't think putting NM cable into conduit is a particularly good thing, plus you'd have to go bigger than 1/2" if you want to comply with NEC conduit fill requirements due to the width of the overall cable as it's constructed (flat oval). Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 01-11-01, 05:32 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you ran a type NM cable 12 or 14 with 2 or 3 wires in it you would be required 3/4" sch 40 PVC as per Chapter 9 tables 4 and 5 of the NEC.

You are not allowed to run type NMB cable {Romex} outside exposed to a wet location. You are allowed to install type NMC cable {UF} in a conduit but it would have to be sized at least 3/4" for one 12 or 14 with 2 or 3 wires in the cable.

Now if you take Juicehead's advice and run type THHN in the conduit outside then the outside is rated as a wet location and you must ensure that that THHN is dual rated also as THWN. The W designates the wire approved for use in a wet location.

Remember that the 99 NEC requires any wire exposed to sunlight must also be rated as sunlight resistant wiring. The word sunlight resistant will be printed on the full length of the cable or stamped on its container as sunlight resistant wire.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 01-12-01, 11:34 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ahh, my error. Type THWN of course. Thanks, Wg. Good luck, racoterrel.

Juice