Etbrown4: Neutral Bar - Left or Right?

Old 12-01-11, 03:30 PM
Etbrown4: Neutral Bar - Left or Right?

This is an old thread but I thought I would give it a try.

In a Sq D homeline panel we have a neutral bar and a ground bar.

Is the neutral bar on the right or left?

We tried a few of the open holes in the bar on the left but the green screw would not start.

Would that mean that we should try an open hole on the bar on the right?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
The neutral bar is on insulators. That is the one the bonding screw goes in. The ground bar is not insulated from the panel back.

Old 12-01-11, 07:50 PM
Withe the Square D Homeline Main Breaker panel, there is no obvious difference that I can see in the two neutral or grounding bars.

Looking at the design of the panel, it appears that you have the two line wires at the top and the incoming neutral is between them. If you look behind the main breaker you can see neutral buss extending to a buss bar at the top left of the panel and at the top right of the panel. I expect that one is a ground buss and the other is the neutral buss.

So far I've seen no insulating spacer etc beneath either buss bar. The model of my panel is HOM4030M200

Any tips would be appreciated. Any photos would be even better!

Old 12-01-11, 09:15 PM
I strongly suspect that BOTH bus bars are neutrals and IF this is also a SERVICE panel then they are are at the same time equipment grounding bus bars. The green bonding screw probably goes in a hole located in the crossover strap and possibly near the neutral connection lug.

However, if this is a sub-panel (a panel receiving power from another panel) then you need to (a) remove any green bonding screw from the neutral bus AND (b) install a separate equipment grounding bus to receive the equipment grounding conductors.

Old 12-02-11, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both of the bars in that panel are neutral bars when the bond screw in installed. In a service panel you can install both neutrals and grounding conductors in the same buss.

In a non-service panel, AKA a subpanel, the ground bars are in contact with the enclosure. In a Square D panel they mount to raised threaded bumps on the back of the enclosure, typically there can be up to 3 spots for the monting.

Old 12-02-11, 02:08 PM
The panel is service equipment and needs the bonding screw. I'm just stuck finding where it goes in this particular Square D panel.

Old 12-02-11, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look on the panel label. It should be near the neutral lug for the incoming conductors. You can turn the panel around. On the back you will see one tapped hole.