Transfer panel feed wire

Old 12-02-11, 07:56 AM
Transfer panel feed wire

Hello folks;
I have a very simple question. I have a B&S 8000 model 30471 generator that I supply my house with via a 10 gauge SO wire when I need it. Now, after the last couple of outages, my friend and neighbor has stopped laughing at me and gone and bought a gen. also.
He is supplying his transfer panel by a remote inlet box and he is getting a little dismayed by the "electrician" he is using as the installer just installed everything and left with no explanations or labeling of the boxes.
Now my friend has asked me to look at some of the installation. I took a quick look and saw that it appears that orange building wire was used for the connection. I know that SO CANNOT be used inside but would 8, or 10 gauge, orange wire (not in conduit) , sort of like H.D. offers, be proper for the transfer/inlet box connection?
Just checking. Hate to open my mouth if it is wrong info.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
By orange building wire do you mean #10 2-conductor NM-b (AKA Romex)?

Old 12-02-11, 10:43 AM
Ray

That is what it appears. However being that it is 120/240 it would have to be 3-wire NM-B.
Also, is there any reason to different color jacketing on this wire as I have seen it in yellow and orange. Is it the mfgs perogative or just the fashionistas being what they are?

Old 12-02-11, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
A very informal usage of color is yellow 12-2 and orange 10-2. This though is not code required as far as I know.

being that it is 120/240 it would have to be 3-wire NM-B.
Yes, it should be. Is the wire exposed? For example just run along a wall at a height of less then six feet? Is that why you can see it? It shouldn't be.

Old 12-02-11, 11:55 AM
Type SO is cable, not wire. Cable implies more than one conductor while wire is a single conductor.

If this "orange wire" is type NM it cannot be used outside. If it is being used for the cable between the generator and the inlet connection it is wrong.

Old 12-02-11, 03:51 PM
Luana

This cable is NOT used as a connection from the generator to the inlet. It is from the inlet to the transfer panel wholely with-in the house.

Ray; this CABLE is not exposed on the whole run. Just where it comes from the ceiling/wall into the panel for about 4 inch exposure. The color thing is a 'good to know" in-case I can't read the bloody printing!

Old 12-02-11, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
If it is flat though it is probably 10-2. For a 120/240 it should be 10-3 which usually will look round. What is the configuration of the inlet?

Old 12-02-11, 05:55 PM
ray

It is a 30 amp inlet. 3prong + the "l" shape grnd to put it graphically. That part appeared right on both ends. I was just wondering if the cable run was right sized when I saw the color. Like I previously wrote, I don't want to say something that will cause a problem unless I am really sure of what it is.

Old 12-02-11, 06:35 PM
Can you post some pics?

Old 12-02-11, 07:21 PM
Does the connector have this configuration?

(Image courtesy of no outage.com)

Or this?

(Image courtesy of Newport.com)

The first is for a 240/120 volt system and the second would be for a 120 volt system.

Old 12-02-11, 07:23 PM
A very informal usage of color is yellow 12-2 and orange 10-2. This though is not code required as far as I know.
12-3 and 12-4 is also yellow and 10-3 and 10-4 is also orange.

Southwire's Romex SIMpull Type NM-B cable is manufactured as 2, 3, or 4 conductor cable, with a bare ground wire.
Copper conductors are annealed (soft) copper. Stranded conductors are compressed stranded. Conductor insulation is
90C-rated polyvinyl chloride (PVC), nylon jacketed. Southwire's Romex SIMpull Type NM-B is designed for Easier Pulling,
Resulting in Easier installation. The cable jacket is color-coded for quick size identification; White - 14 AWG, Yellow - 12
AWG, Orange - 10 AWG, and Black - 8 AWG and 6 AWG.
Thu
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...=prodcatsheet6

Old 12-02-11, 08:34 PM
Colors\plugs

I will take this in order;
Furd; He has the 120/240 config that is behind curtain #1 (for 20 please!) It is the same as mine.

Casual Joe; thank you for the reference. That to me is a must file for times like this! Makes visual identification a little bit easier, even though visual reading of the numbers is necessary. Like I said only about 4 inches of wire is visible and I am NOT tearing out a ceiling for that! His wife would kill us both and so he will have to go by what his electrician said.