Splicing phone line for additional line

Old 12-02-11, 04:54 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Splicing phone line for additional line

ran a new cat5 cable through the wall up to the attic (for an additional phone jack), wired the phone outlet according to the color scheme on the junction box I bought. all I need to do now is cut the main line and connect input and output to the phone junction box in the attic.

checked one of the wall phone outlets, and the color coding was not the same as the jack I just installed. Do I need to splice the main line in accordance with the existing color coding, and splice the additional line to match?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Newer installs of phone lines are not spliced. The cable is run back to the network interface and connected there.

Old 12-02-11, 06:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Phones use 2 wires. There is no "input" or "output" (with the exception of a home security system connection).

The two wires used for a phone are called Tip (green) and Ring (red).

Many times phone jacks have the green and red wires connected to other color wires. And you can use that to determine which is Tip and which is Ring.

And if you have just one phone line in your house, just two wires are being used, although it is common to connect more than that should you want a second line in the future.

Another way to tell is to look at the box outside where the phone line comes in. There would be just two connections for one phone line. See what colors are used for those two at the following link...

Here is a page which shows other wiring colors...
Phone-man's Home Phone Wiring Advice Page - Wire Color Codes

Note: Back in the old days, they used telephone plug boards to connect your call like this...

And they used "plugs" like the following which had on the connection a "Tip" and "Ring"...

Telephony Basic Information and Terms

Old 12-02-11, 06:29 PM
B
Video of those telephone operators in action...
Telephone Switchboard Advances - YouTube

Old 12-03-11, 09:28 AM
D
Thanks Bill190. I think I got it...just checked the outside phone box and there are 2 wires connected, blue and white/blue, which translates to Red and Green. When I installed additional inside outlet I connected the blue wire to the red terminal in the junction box and the white/blue wire to the green.

So, when I cut the line going through the attic, I only NEED to connect the blue and white/blue for the existing phone lines to work properly? leave all the others disconnected? only have 1 phone line, and the way wireless is going don't think I will ever have the need for a second land line, but if I do I could reconnect later.

Old 12-03-11, 11:23 AM
B
Yes, just two wires. And same colors used at both ends of the wire of course.

Then see if you can dial out. If you get a dial tone but can't dial out, reverse the wires.

Old 12-03-11, 12:44 PM
D
ok, I peeled back the insulation on the main line, and only cut the blue and white/blue wire, spliced them into the junction box, and have a dial tone, and can dial out. success!! didn't test the NEW line I dropped yet, but am confident that will work. Thanks Bill190!!

On another note, I also spliced in a coax line for cable modem (RG6), using a 25' length with fittings on each end. After snaking though the wall and attic, the fitting on the splitter end in the attic broke off.....1 option is to go back to home depot and exchange for another cable, and painfully snake it back through the wall...Or connect a fitting on the end of the cable, but the whole reason for using pre-fitted cable was to avoid purchasing the splicer and crimper tools...is there an easy solution to connect a fitting to the end of the cable?

Old 12-03-11, 05:47 PM
B
For the coax, they have "twist on" connectors. Called F connectors.

Old 12-03-11, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Normally a cable modem is not spliced into another cable.

Old 12-03-11, 10:09 PM
B
I have a little more time now, so will explain better about the coax. It is really well worth it to get the crimp on F connectors for coax and the crimping tool. Also coax is difficult to cut just right and takes a bit of learning. And it helps to have a coax stripping tool like this...

Note there are two common sizes of coax for a home. Cheap RG-59 and the better RG-6.

So be sure to get the proper size F connectors, cutting tool, and crimping tool.

Anyway once you learn to do this, you can make cables any size you want! That is really nice for cleaning up the wiring clutter. Also nice when running cables in the house, you can run the cable to length, then add your own F connectors.

Then for TV, as said above, you don't splice the wires, rather you would use a "splitter" which looks like this...

The above is only one direction!

For a cable modem or cable phone, you need the signal to go both directions! For that you need a special "Bi-directional" splitter. And I would recommend getting that from your cable TV provider.

Old 12-04-11, 05:33 AM
D
before cable modem, there was a 2-way splitter in the attic, splitting cable tv to family room and bedroom. When cable co. installed cable modem last year, they replaced 2-way splitter with 3-way splitter. When I ran this new line, I replaced the 3-way with a 4-way splitter (first one was actually bad - None of the lines worked), purchased a better quality splitter that seems to work fine...

so my internet and phone have been out since last night when I moved my computer to the new room with the new line...I DID replace the connector in the attic with a twist on - made sure to get the kind for RG-6, but the line isn't working, neither is the phone. I temporarily ran an extra long ethernet cable through the upstairs hallway to connect the modem to another coax terminal (so my wife could shop online!!!). So either the cable is bad, the coax wall plate is bad, or my twist-on connection is bad.. I will check the wall plate first. I didn't think to check the splitter for bi-directional, but it must be ok since I am using the internet right now!

I bought a 2-pack of twist on connectors, if the wall plate is ok I will re-do the twist on , if that fails I will buy a co-ax stripper and crimper...look at me trying to save $20, really not worth all this aggravation, and I will most likely need the tools when I finish my basement down the road, or add more lines.

Old 12-04-11, 05:00 PM
D
Wall plate was ok, and the twist-on connector seemed ok, so I switched the problem line with a good line on the splitter...don't know if the 1 port is bad, or if my original connection wasn't tight enough (didn't want to make it too tight, as that's how the original connector broke off) but the line now works!! haven't checked the old line that I swapped out, but I dont have anything connected there anymore anyway...will check in the future, but for now, problems solved