Neutral and ground bus question

Old 12-02-11, 08:56 PM
Neutral and ground bus question

Hello I want to add a 20 amp breaker to my panel a cutler hammer panel for a outlet that im putting in a few feet away from the panel, what im trying to figure out is the neutral bus is full and I notice on the ground bus that there's some neutral wires on that bus is it ok to put some of the grounds all under one screw to make room for the neutral wires? Picture below to show what im talking about.

Thanks,
Picture here

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-11, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your pic lacks enough detail to see if the bond strap or screw is installed. Is there another breaker closer to the electrical meter or is this the only panel in the house?

Old 12-03-11, 06:13 AM
Sorry I forgot to include this is the only panel in the house. There is no sub panel.

Old 12-03-11, 06:28 AM
Hey Jim, I had to zoom in, but I see a bonding strap on the right, just above the black wire coming off breaker #6. I canít tell about the left-hand bar. It appears to be on an isolating stand, but that may be a bonding jumper between the LH bar and the bonding bushing for the serv entrnc raceway.

OP, check that the above statements are true, and check the label sticker, usually found on the side of the tub, or on the cover panel/door. Usually they state that ground wires of the same size can be doubled up under one screw on the ground bars. Per code, neutrals cannot.

Old 12-03-11, 07:38 AM
Detail is hard to make out, but I do see a 12-2 NM B cable entering the bottom of the panel through a raw knockout with no connector. I believe I can also make out the bond strap. The competitively priced aluminum bus panels sometimes just don't have enough room in the neutral and ground bars.

Old 12-03-11, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kyle, I do see the bond strap near breaker #6. I think the buss jumper crosses behind and is insulated with a black covering. Not being familiar with that brand, I think the OP could add either to the left side buss. A continuity check could confirm this.