Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about wiring a Generac model 5606 into circuit breaker box

Old 12-03-11, 07:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 8kw generac model 5606, however after reviewing some post online I see where some people say this model will not work with a home circuit box. Something about full panel GFCI on the generator. However, others say that is only on the new models and that the 5606 is slightly older and only has GFCI built into the 110 outlets on the unit, but the 120/220 outlet did not. I plan on hooking this up with an interlock kit and backfeeding my breakerbox. However, does anyone have any idea if this will work or have they used this model directly into the box before?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-11, 08:09 PM
M
I'm not sure if your gen is like mine. I have the GP7500e. I don't have the GCFI but from what I read if you have the neutral bonded to ground on the gen and you hook it up to your house that way, it will trip the breakers on the gen. I am hooking mine up to my house the same way. Inlet box, interlock kit and back feed breaker. I had to remove a jumper wire on the backside of the panel on the generator that bonded the ground and neutral since you will be bonded at your home panel. Furd and others here can better advise you.

Old 12-04-11, 05:50 AM
R
madmatt76 -

If you have the GP instead of the XP then you are right you shouldn't have any GCFI outlets. However, I am curious as to why you had to remove the jumper wire on the backside of the panel on the generator. If you don't have any GCFI then you should have been able to plug into your power inlet backfeed the breaker box and go, correct?

Where exactly is the jumper wire you removed? I'm wondering if removing it would be an option on the model 5606 that I have if I needed to?

Old 12-04-11, 06:46 AM
M
I disconnected my jumper, because I read that when I hook it to the house via the inlet box connected to my home panel (or for some a non neutral switching transfer switch) you are bonded to ground at two locations which allows for a dual path for current to flow back to the gen and damage it ? However to be "safe" and OSHA compliant / keep the UL listing the bond has to be in place when using the generator as a stand alone unit (job site, camping etc). I made a simple shorting plug as some have pictured on this site. Bought a male three prong plug end at Lowes, opened it and put a jumper wire between the neutral prong and ground prong. So for now if I use the gen as a stand alone I just plug this into one of the receptacles on the front and it makes that bond again, so I don't have to keep opening the panel and reinstalling and removing the wire. I think in the future I will put an appropriate rated guarded switch with placard on the panel to this same function.
On mine I removed the 4 screws holding the front panel (disconnected battery first) and found a small green jumper wire (the only point I saw that tied the ground and neutral together). I confirmed it with a multimeter as suggested by this forum. Mine is the wire with the G and red "x" on it. It went from the ground on the 240 plug to the neutral on the middle 120 outlet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us