GFCI outlet problems

Old 12-04-11, 10:19 AM
GFCI outlet problems

I am replacing the outlet in my bathroom with a GFCI outlet. There are 3 hot wires and 3 neutral wires and a ground. I marked the wires when i took them off the old outlet and installed them the same
way on the new outlet. When i turn the power on the green light
comes on to show that there is power going into the outlet. The
light and fan switched are working which i think are on the same circuit but the outlet isn't working and there is no power in our second bathroom which i am assuming is because the new outlet isn't
working. The strange thing to me is that one the old outlet on the top there was two black wires and one white wire and on the bottom there was one black wire and 2 white. What do you think is wrong. Should I test the wires to see which one is the and the load?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
There are 3 hot wires and 3 neutral wires .... Should I test the wires to see which one is the and the load?
Yes. One of those cables is the true hot and will measure 120v between black and white. That cable goes to line. Of the remaining cables one is for the other receptacle and goes to the load side of the receptacle. The final cable is for the light and can go to either line or load. Usually line is best so you aren't left in the dark if the GFCI trips.