Out of room in panel?

Old 12-04-11, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Out of room in panel?

I am going to install a thru the wall ac/heat in my den. The voltage is 230/208. I was going to add a breaker and wire it myself, but it looks like I have only one single pole slot left. So would my best option be to add a sub-panel? I only need to power the unit nothing else. And I am not sure I feel comfortable doing this myself so I am going to hire an electrician. Does anybody have an idea about how much this would cost...just looking for ballpark figure. Or if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions...thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 11:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Make and model of your panel please. Some breaker panels will take tandem breakers. If yours does you cold move a couple of 120s to the tandem and free up a couple of spaces.

Old 12-04-11, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
There are too many variables to give you accurate cost of the job. It could be $200 for an easy job or over $1000 for a challenging one.

Old 12-04-11, 12:42 PM
It's a Cutler-Hammer type CC, Cat. No. 2150, 150 amps,issue LK-427. That's all the info I could get without pulling the cover off, if you need more let me know.

Old 12-04-11, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by gator662 View Post
It's a Cutler-Hammer type CC, Cat. No. 2150, 150 amps,issue LK-427. That's all the info I could get without pulling the cover off, if you need more let me know.
That is the model number of the main breaker. There should be a label on the inside of the door of the panel. That, or you will have to take the cover off and you should find a label on the inside of the steel box

Old 12-04-11, 02:40 PM
CH24JM150...is that it? That's all I could find.

Old 12-08-11, 05:53 PM
Well,

Thanks for advice guys..I had an electrician out today and he said I did have a space for new breaker and my current panel will handle it. They are going to do the whole thing including the outlet so I won't have to do anything except plug in. He quoted me 300 bucks which I thought was reasonable since I spent about 60 bucks at Home depot for the wiring, boxes, etc. and that doesn't include the breaker..so I can just take all that back. It also includes the permit which is 75 bucks. I know he is right on that because I work for a fire protection company and I have to pull permits all the time. It's real easy to get on the website and see what electrical permits cost for this type of work. So I thought it was a fair price and I won't have to screw with it. Thanks again for your help.