Two sets of cables in receptacle box

Old 12-04-11, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two sets of cables in receptacle box

Hi:

I'm replacing the receptacles in my house built in 1942. Everything has been pretty normal so far, but on the second-to last receptacle I came across this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

It's two cables, one with a ground wire (unattached) and one without. The two hots are connected to one terminal, and the to neutrals are connected to one terminal on the other side.

I could certainly hook up the new receptacle in the same fashion, but I wonder if that's safe. Any advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Are you connecting new ungrounded (two prong) receptacles? IF not then you are violating the Code.

Your pictures are a little worrisome. First the piece of NM needs to have a connecter to bush the hole in the box. Next, and a little more worrisome, it appears you have a green wire connected to the hot side of the receptacle. This is not correct and could potentially hurt somebody. Lastly, going back to the NM cable, you may not extend an ungrounded circuit. Whoever did this was wrong in doing so.

My suggestions to you is to find out where the green wire goes, and since it is likely wired in conduit, remove it and pull in a new colored conductor (anything other then green or white, or gray) Then find out where the NM cable goes and see if it can be eliminated.

Old 12-04-11, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Tolyn:

Thanks for the reply, and helping me figure out that I need to call an electrician.

Old 12-05-11, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Yeah, I think an electrician is a good call to make. There are a number of things in that photo that scream "I'm wired completely wrong!" Old wiring is one thing... old, poorly installed wiring is a whole other issue

Good luck!