Fireblock Foam A Sticky Mess

Old 12-05-11, 01:01 PM
Fireblock Foam A Sticky Mess

What I thought was a little project just kind of keeps growing.

I had some lines replaced by an electrician. He did the job wrong and i made him come back to do it right after verifying on this forum. (Thank you for the help!)

Now here's my new question. At the upper part of the wall where the romex runs up into the space between floors, orange fire block foam had been used. One cable had to be re-run, which meant trying to get that nasty foam out. So one line is now new. The other line has about 5-6" of foam stuck to it, sort of just clumped on and kind of hard. There's no way to get it off of the romex without doing damage. Is it ok to leave it as-is, with the new clean wire and then seal up with fire block caulk (rated 4 hrs)? Is that foam being stuck to the other wire a hazard of any kind?

I'm having the wiring inspection tomorrow by the county before closing back up with drywall.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-11, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Foam on the wire shouldn't be an issue. Look at all the paint, mud, and such you see on wires when they spray new houses.

Old 12-05-11, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Vic. Over in North Carolina, the inspector wants to see purple primer running down the pipe at plumbing fittings, just to make sure you are using it. He's not in for a nice neat job, but one that has all the components in place.