GFCI wiring issue

Old 12-05-11, 10:44 PM
GFCI wiring issue

I tried to install one in place of a standard outlet, but it trips whenever the 3 way light switch is turned on next to it. I know GFI don't like fluorescent fixtures, but is there anyway I can make this work? Here's a drawn pic of how the wires run into the conduit box.

And a pic of how I had it wired before returning to the standard outlet for the time being. Warning large picture.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5828/gfcibig.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-11, 10:57 PM
I cannot tell how you had it wired from the drawing and/or the picture but I ASSUME that you have a "multi-wire branch circuit" (MWBC) feeding this lamp and the downstream receptacles. If that is true and one "branch" feeds the light while the other branch feeds the receptacles then you cannot use the "LOAD" connections to feed both the light and the receptacles.

If I am correct about the MWBC then you need to connect the white from the supply and either the black or the red from the supply to the LINE terminals of the GFCI. Connect the white and the black for the lamp also to the LINE connections on the GFCI. Connect the black and the white for the downstream receptacles to the appropriate LOAD terminals. This will give you GFCI protection at the GFCI receptacle and the downstream receptacles but NOT at the light fixture.

If this doesn't work then most likely there is a problem with the downstream receptacles.

If this is NOT a MWBC supplying power then you need to do a better drawing and use the proper colors from both the original configuration and what you attempted with the GFCI receptacle.

Old 12-06-11, 01:56 AM
I don't think it's a multi circuit. That's when two breakers are powering a room, right? This one is on one circuit alone. I drew up a better pic of how it was wired with the GFCI. It's the same with a standard outlet in place. No idea why one of the neutrals is yellow.

Old 12-06-11, 10:21 AM
Remove the neutral going to the light (cable/conduit #1) from the load side of the GFCI, attach it to the line side. Leave the neutral going to the additional outlet (cable/conduit #3) on the load side.

The GFCI is sensing the current on the neutral from the light, but doesn’t have a corresponding current on the ‘hot’ side. The GFCI is tripping due to an imbalance of current flow.

Is this all on one circuit? i.e. only one breaker controls the light and the receptacles?

Old 12-07-11, 12:27 AM
Yep. Definitely only one breaker. I'll try it out later today and get back with an update. Thanks.

Old 12-07-11, 11:43 PM
Works perfectly now. Thanks again.

Old 12-08-11, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
And thanks for letting us know how it came out.