Wiring a portable generator to circuit panel.

Old 12-06-11, 07:57 AM
Wiring a portable generator to circuit panel.

I have a GeneracXP8000E I was hoping to wire directly into my circuit panel using an interlock kit and a L14-30 amp cable. However, now I realize that this setup will limit me to 7500 watts even though the generator is rated to 8k. I was hoping to get enough juice to run a 2-ton AC unit with a hard start kit as long as nothing else was on. It was going to be borderline whether or not this portable would turn it, but if I can only send 7500 watts via the cable then I don't think it will work. My question what setup would allow me to send the full capacity of my generator into the circuit box. I know I have heard of other people on this forum run central AC with a portable using an interlock kit but I don't see how it is possible if you are limited to 7500 watts via the cable.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
The 7500 watt is a constant run watts from my understanding. The inlet can accept the surge watts that is above the rating because its only temporary. So say the inlet is 7500 watt, you can surge say 10000 watt. Its temporary. Its the run that matters.

If you run that gen at a constant full voltage of 7500 watts you will melt the head I would think before anything else. A safe wattage to run the gen at on 240 constant run IMO would be half load or 4000 watts. Thats your gen. That thing will get hot running near its limit.

If your looking to run at the 7500 watt limit I would get a bigger gen, say 15,000 watt. Then half of that would put you where you want.

I hope you understand that.

Now for applications that do require constant run above 7500 watts such as a commercial application then you need to look into the transfer panals.

Like these.

Panel/Link | Products | Reliance Controls Corporation

The electricians can help further. Post the name plate ratings on the a/c unit. Size breaker etc.

Thats just my take on it.

Mike NJ

Old 12-06-11, 08:57 AM
I think you answered my question so the cables and inlets can accept a surge without tripping. The size of my air units were discussed and listed in an earlier thread here:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...eaker-box.html

The units detail is near the bottom.

Everyone basically reached the conclusion that this generator probably would not turn either unit(hard start included) even when used exclusively. So I'll probably go portable window unit if I get in a pinch and I like the idea of not straining the generator and being able to run a few other things other than just the AC. I basically just wanted to have that as an option, that if need be I can run one of the central AC units a few hours and looks like that may still be a slim possibility but it will be close.

Old 12-06-11, 11:27 AM
I can run my four ton AC unit with my 10800 watt Winco portable genny so I think it is very possibile that you will be able to run one of your ac units with what you have.

You said that you have a hard start kit installed. Is it a "three wire" hard start kit? Not all hard start kits are the same. I have a three wire 5-2-1 kit installed and it cut the start current in half, from 95 amp to 42 amps as measured by my fluke 36 clamp meter.

Old 12-06-11, 12:14 PM
Auger01 - I'm not sure what type of hard start is on the units I just rememeber my ac guy saying that they both had them. How is your portable wired into your circuit panel?

Old 12-06-11, 01:25 PM
Its wired in via a 50 amp inlet and 50 amp breaker using the cutler hammer interlock deadfront.

Some of the one wire hard start kits dont really help muchstarting the ac. Is easy to check and see what you have. The three wire setup will have a relay and a start capacitor tied in to your run capacitor.