Need help trying to figure out rewiring

Old 12-07-11, 01:04 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help trying to figure out rewiring

we are in the middle of completely gutting our house and updating wiring, plumbing, insulation, etc...there is not an interior wall that will be left uncovered. with that said, does anyone have a ballpark idea of what a contractor in California would charge for a complete rewire? its a 1600 sq.ft house in Long Beach, CA. we are just putting in all new romex cable, recessed lighting in all rooms and updating the box to a 200 amp box. I can do it myself but time constraints are killing me and i don't want to have it under construction for the next year. I have some contractors coming out to quote the job but i have no idea what fair or ballpark would be. any help would be great.
Thanks!

Old 12-07-11, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It would be impossible for us to tell what a contractor in different regions of the US would charge. It is, after all, a DIY forum. You would be benefited best by obtaining 3 quotes from reputable licensed and insured electricians. Then you can make an educated choice.

Old 12-07-11, 01:51 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank. i was just hoping that maybe some in the area had gotten the same thing quoted before to give me a ballpark. i know its a dyi forum but people still get quotes before dyi'ing so that is what i was hoping for. i am getting quotes but have planned to do the work myself unless it is way less then i am expecting..

Old 12-07-11, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Labor rates vary too much across the country. California also has an energy code that many places do not that will affect the choice of lighting and the costs.

Old 12-09-11, 10:32 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'd highly recommend having a drawing or list of requirements for when you contact electricians so you can ensure you're getting what you want and you're comparing apples to apples.

Some electricians will quote you lowest cost receptacles, code-minimums, etc. Another electrician may provide you more standard requirements.

Go room by room, number of circuits, lights, switches, etc. Write it down and use it as your list of requirements.

Good luck - sounds like a big project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: