routing multiple cables on one overhead messenger line

Old 12-09-11, 07:38 AM
routing multiple cables on one overhead messenger line

Hi,

I've looked all over for an answer to my question but haven't found anything in the archives. Apologies in advance if I just wasn't using the right keywords.

My issue is that I have a garage that is already wired (by an overhead messenger wire configuration), but there are two problems:
-overhead wire is 50' of #14/2, which isn't enough for the power tools I want to run (20 amp @ 120V)
-that wire is connected to the downstairs suite's electrical system, not mine!

I already have a #10/2 wire running from *my* breaker box to the outside of the house, so I just need help with the outdoor portion.

My first plan was just to buy 50' of outdoor #10/2 wire and zip tie it to the existing messenger line/wire that's out there. However, I've been told that you need to keep wires from two circuits apart to avoid inductance problems. Is this the case? Do I actually need to run another messenger wire that's 6" or so away from the existing one?

Thanks in advance!
E

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-11, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Following is based on US code but CEC is usually very similar to NEC.

You can only have one source of power to a detached structure so if you ran the # 10 you would have to abandon the #14. 120v general purpose power and lighting circuits can not be protected by a breaker larger then 20 amp so the most you could put the #10 on is a 20a breaker.

I would suggest Canadian equivalent of 10-3 UF-b sunlight resistant from a 30a 240 volt breaker in the breaker box and at least a 60a 6 slot subpanel in the out garage. Note if the messenger is metal it needs to be grounded to the subpanel. The subpanel will need a ground bar added, neutral bar isolated, and you will need a ground rod for it.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-09-11 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-10-11, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your excellent reply.. Just curious, code issues aside, is there an inductance (or other?) problem with running wires (on separate circuits) on the same messenger wire?

E

Old 12-10-11, 10:49 AM
Wire

What is a messenger wire?

Old 12-10-11, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
What is a messenger wire?
"A messenger wire is a wire or cable that is used solely for the physical support of another element, typically a conductive wire or bundle of wires."

Commonly found in overhead triplex or quadplex where the neutral conductor is a bare messenger wire

info found here

To the OP: you may only have one circuit running to your detached building. This can be a multiwire circuit.

Old 12-10-11, 11:52 AM
There may be a legal way to have multiple circuits to this garage apart from a MWBC. I don't know Canadian code but in the US IF this garage was multiple occupancy as is the residential part, then each stall of the garage could have it's own circuit fed from the appropriate residential panel. Doing so would likely require special dispensation from the building/electrical inspector but with the multi-tenant occupancy should not be a problem.

On the other hand, if it is a single garage occupied by only a single tenant then the normal rule would apply.