Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Unable to put the christmast lights outdoors due to braker keeps jumping

Old 12-09-11, 12:07 PM

I already installed the christmast lights around the house and putted some other lighting decorations on my front yard, after I lighted everything looked great but a few minutes later everythign turned off and seems like the braker keeps jumping off and I don't know what is that I need to do, I was going to call an electrician but I am broke at the moment, any suggestions? the house I live is not old, it was built in 2008 and I assume that the brakers are new and unsure why not holding all that power outside witch is not that much compared with my neighbords.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-11, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
You probably have just too many lights on one circuit.

You may also have breakers that detect small "leaks" in the current. If there is any moisture on the connections..that could happen.

Are the lights LED or older screw in bulbs?

Old 12-09-11, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
How many strings of lights do you have on that breaker? What else is on that breaker? How many amps is the breaker?

Old 12-09-11, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Most newer houses are required to have GFCI protected outlets outside. If you using an outside outlet the GFCI will immediately turn off the power if it senses an electrical short like from a bad light or decoration. So, if your lights immediately go out when you plug something in it is possible that there is a electrical short in that last thing you plugged in.

If your lights stay on for a while and then turn off you are overloading the circuit. Too many lights and long extension cords are the culprit. You may have to run some of your lights off of another circuit.

Old 12-09-11, 01:20 PM
Red face

Thank you both mitch17 and Gunguy45 for your replies on my question, I don't know anything about electical terms all I know is that some of the lights are LED and some might not because are older, I have this kind: 100-Light LED White Dome Icicle Lights (Set of 2)-TY421-915-WX2 at The Home Depot

and some other lights that you put around the trees but right after I connect them they go off and I have to push the braker back. would this need an electrician to come over and check the box to see if something is wrong or needs to be changed or expanded? sorry if I am not explaining very well but I am trying my best.

Old 12-09-11, 01:28 PM
Thank you "Pilot Dane" I think everything you mentioned is about right, I am using an outside outlet and that GFCI is turning the lights off, most of the lights are new but the extensions I am using are old, the very first day I putted them it worked just fine but ever since I added more lights it will just last for about 20 seconds and will go off. when you say about using another circuit what you mean with that, in other words I only have 2 outside outlets one in the front and the other in the back of the house and I am using both, you mean to run a wired from inside the house? I have neighbords that have more lights than me I wonder if they are using the outside outlets or using something special to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-09-11, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
It does sound like you are overloading the circuits available.

The good news is it's less than four weeks until this miserable holiday season is over.

Not that I'm a grinch or anything....

Old 12-09-11, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
The next time you are playing with the decorations and the lights turn off go around your house to find an outlet that is still working. Then switch some of your decorations from the circuit that turned off to the one that is still "on". This will help split the load between the two circuits.

Old 12-09-11, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Try just one string at a time to see if it works okay. Leave it on for 15-30 minuets then try another string. When they have each been tested separately repeat the test but add a string after each test period.

Old 12-10-11, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My box of LED lights had a warning not to mix the with regular lights. Just saying.

Old 12-10-11, 09:42 PM
What are the older types of lights? Are they the minature lamps or the bigger "classic" C7 or C9 lights?

Old 12-10-11, 09:52 PM
Have you tried the same light configuration to the other outside rec? If it works on that one, you may have a failed or weak rec that will go off prematurely. Just a thought as I have had to replace those from time to time. If they have been tripped alot they do get a bit weak like a braker in a main service. You may have to add another rec from inside the house to split up the load but make sure it is a GFCI or some day an inspector will have a cow.

Old 12-11-11, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
or some day an inspector will have a cow
Don't do the GFCI for an inspector's sake, do it for safety's sake.