I believe I fried a circuit breaker

Old 12-09-11, 06:24 PM
I believe I fried a circuit breaker

I was adding a line and light to an existing switch. The switch is in a 3 gang box and is not in use, but it does have a hot lead connected to it.

So I connected the wiring to my new light which was on the other side of the wall. I ran some romex through the wall. A simple run. I think I mistakenly connected my ground wire to the traveler pole of the switch, because I now believe it's a 3 way switch. When I finished and threw the switch, I heard the breaker fry. It didn't just break like a normal overload, it sounded like a zap.

I looked in the breaker box and none of the breakers were tripped. It's only in retrospect that I realize my mistake. I'm going to resume working on it another day.

My question. Is it likely that this is what happened? If so, I assume I'll have to get a new switch and wire it PROPERLY. Yes, I realize it was a dumb mistake. In addition, I'll have to get a new breaker. I suspect that when I go back and remove the cover to the breaker box, I'll see a melted terminal. Does that sound right?
Much appreciated,
Dumbo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-11, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I believe I would leave this to an experienced electrician. First, you need a neutral for the light to operate properly, and I doubt you have a neutral in a switch box. Can you remove power to the switch, remove the cover plate and pull the switches out, leaving them hooked to their wiring and take a picture of the wiring? Post it on a site such as photobucket.com? Then http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
That way we can see what you see.

Old 12-09-11, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
I have burned two or three Zinscos but most brands of breakers will trip not fry. Disconnect the line from the breaker and measure the voltage between the breaker and neutral.