6 way light switch..new one wont work

Old 12-10-11, 07:15 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
6 way light switch..new one wont work

i have 3 hall lights that all turn on or off by one of 6 switches...i had one switch for many years be unable to be turned on or off. was just stuck on, never used it. i finally decided to fix it but i guess not

there are 2 white wires and 2 black wires and all the old screws appear to be brass, i bought a 4 way switch with 2 silver and 2 brass and it says input and output. i didnt see any other switch with 4 screws ...maybe i missed something?

is it possible i wired the switch backwards? too late to fool with it tonight but will try it tomorrow i guess.

Old 12-10-11, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
How did you wire the switch? One black and white should be input. These need to be from the same cable.

Old 12-10-11, 08:40 PM
L
will have to check tomorrow, i forget now

but when you try to use it to turn and off, it doesnt work but if you switch another switch first then use the new one, the new one will work on and off..just cant touch another switch lol

Old 12-11-11, 12:06 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi ld, if it is a 4-way, you need two 3-wires (R/B/W each). If it is one of the two 3-ways, you need one 2-wire and one 3-wire. If there are no 3-wire in any locations, then they are using ground as the return neutral, not good. Is this old wiring?

Bud

Old 12-11-11, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Bud - I believe his existing wiring may be ok and grandfathered in. It may not be the most efficient way to wire the 3 ways and 4 ways, but it can be done using only 2 wire cables between the 4 ways and not using a ground wire.

Old 12-11-11, 06:58 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Thanks Tolyn, now we just need to sort out the sw and travelers.

Bud

Old 12-11-11, 09:05 AM
L
Originally Posted by pcboss
How did you wire the switch? One black and white should be input. These need to be from the same cable.
this fixed it.thanks! and by the way, never totally unscrew out of the switch, that nut is PITA to center and feed back unless you take out the switch again lol. then i wired it wrong a 2nd time even after i knew which was right..it's NOT my morning.

oh and above grounding was discussed, i think i have maybe 6 grounded outlets in the house lol..rest are not , or are wired in reverse ..bought one of those tester things. oh well...even had to run a thick extension from hall to my TV setup because UPS wont run without ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: