Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing inverter and batteries alongside already existing generator

Old 12-11-11, 10:42 AM

I have a 200 amp service at the main panel. One 100 amp circuit goes to a Generac 14kw transfer switch and box. From there it is divided into a 50 amp circuit for the house, a 30 amp circuit for the well pump, and a 20 amp circuit for the barn.

The wiring to the barn is split phase aluminum 2 AWG. I'd like to put an inverter and battery bank in the barn to provide power and only use the generator when the batteries are low to recharge them, and provide house power.

Will the Generac Transfer switch shut me off from the grid if the grid goes down AND the Generator is turned off?

Will an automatic transfer inverter switch over and use the same circuit it was charging from to then provide power to my entire system?

The generator waits 30 seconds before turning on and throwing the transfer switch but the inverter may transfer immediately (I haven't purchased one yet so I don't know and may want to buy one that gives me a programmable option for that).

I'll have the setup done professionally, I just want to know how much work needs to be done and if it's even possible and safe.

Last edited by wallywally; 12-11-11 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarify
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-11, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

What you need is an inverter/charger.

Click image:

Image courtesy of xantrax.com

This will operate whatever loads you plug into it and charge the batteries at the same time.
When you loose power it will energize the receptacles through the inverter and will switch back to shore power when the generator starts.

A good thing with these Xantrax models is that they are approved for being hard wired.
We are using the 1000 watt model for our sump pump.
Another plus is that the control panel can be removed from the inverter and remotely connected with cat5 cable.

Old 12-11-11, 05:32 PM
That would be Xantrex, not Xantrax.